Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hate how my engine sounds with the vacuum pump running and clacking away and would like to delete it. A couple of questions first:
1 - will deleting the VP affect my power brakes ? Where do they get vacuum boost from ?
2 - Is the manual adjust set and forget or does it require constant monitoring and tinkering. ?

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
i hate how my engine sounds with the vacuum pump running and clacking away and would like to delete it. A couple of questions first:
1 - will deleting the VP affect my power brakes ? Where do they get vacuum boost from ?
2 - Is the manual adjust set and forget or does it require constant monitoring and tinkering. ?
Brakes do not use vacuum. They get their assist from the PS pump/hydroboost

To delete the vac pump you will need a 1" shorter serp belt.
Disconnect the hoses and keep the Wastegate solenoid connected to electrical.
Add Turbo Master ( manual wastegate controller) and install a boost gauge to monitor boost levels for proper adjustments when needed

Vacuum pump controls EGR functions, Turbo Wastegate and AC/Controls in some van models

· Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,511 Posts
Based on reading, on a 6.5L in the US market, VP is used just for Turbo.
The VP in my truck has been disconnected for as long as the turbo uses Turbo Master and the AC, cruise still works and there is really no emission in this truck like the gasser or 6.2L do.

I am not sure why 6.2L diesel needs emission control. May be it meant 6.2L gasser, not sure.

· Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
675 Posts
Deleting the VP will generate FTC errors for EGR. I believe you can either get a new eprom flashed with EGR delete or purchase a K3500 ECU which does not have a EGR valve. I would also look into getting a 3500 intake to replace yours. The inside of your intake has a tower which is used with the EGR to reburn your exhaust. Read where one guy used a freeze plug on the inside of the intake and made a plate to cover the outside.

· Registered
20 Posts
I hate the sound it makes, like a hollow metal pinging. I’m looking at deleting my VP as well but, I might have to unbolt the pump mechanisms and just leave the pully in place, I already messed with the belt sizes when I swapped out my 95amp alternator for a 130amp Duramax alternator. Unless someone knows an approximate size for both mods combined?

· Registered
10 Posts
I thought it might help others to know a positive verification of a one (1I inch shorter belt success with my 1995 C3500, no EGR ever, deleted vacuum pump since my new turbo used boost pressure to control waste gate. I had a 102-5/8 inch belt and went to a 101-5/8 inch belt and seems to fit just fine. Maybe lose the 5/8ths inch, not sure if tensioner can move that much but as of now plenty of travel left on tensioner indicator.

AlaskaBill

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 7 of 7 Posts