Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a vacuum guage for the fuel filter? Were have you cut in a T for the guage? A lot of semis have them. The truck I've got at work has one and it give me a pretty good warning that my filters were getting plugged. It would have been nice to have one to give me some sign that my fuel filter was plugging up yesterday.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
A plastic hose barb T can be bought to splice into the hose at the factory test location. You would have to have it match that hose and the the size of your gauge supply line. If needed you could also build it out of brass fittings.

Keep us posted if you do it.:)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the factory test location? The T must be between the filter and the CP3, correct?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Are you looking for an in-cab application?

Kennedy sells a vacum/pressure gage that hooks into the factory test port (underhood). That one you can check your filter line pressure (if you have pumps) or vacum for filter draw.

There is a factory test port beside the alternator (black cap) with obviously a special fitting.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Yes, as far as I know, anywhere between the OEM filter and the CP3 pump will tell you what you need to know.

Black Max is right. The factory test port is right behind/beside the alternator. It has a large black plastic cap on it and is a quick disconnect fitting. You could remove it and install your needed fittings here also. Might be a problem if the dealer ever needed to work on it though.

Warning;
Doing this with a lift pump will require a gauge that has both negative and positive readings. If a problem occurs it could also leak fuel anywhere you route the line including inside the cab.

I contacted Autometer last year about an isolator style gauge setup and their response was they had no plans to build one.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes in cab. I would like to buy the matching Z-series vacuum guage from autometer and get the triple pod. I've got the double for my boost and pyro. I what it for fuel filter draw so in the cold weather I'll have some warning when the filter is starting to plug. Ah yes I know where the test port is now.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could the T be cut in the line coming right off the filter mount? That might be an easy spot and it wouldn't interfere with the factory test port.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
RickDLance;1571433; said:
Yes, as far as I know, anywhere between the OEM filter and the CP3 pump will tell you what you need to know.

Black Max is right. The factory test port is right behind/beside the alternator. It has a large black plastic cap on it and is a quick disconnect fitting. You could remove it and install your needed fittings here also. Might be a problem if the dealer ever needed to work on it though.

Warning;
Doing this with a lift pump will require a gauge that has both negative and positive readings. If a problem occurs it could also leak fuel anywhere you route the line including inside the cab.

I contacted Autometer last year about an isolator style gauge setup and their response was they had no plans to build one.
Is there a possibility of a digital gauge, so you could mount the actual sending unit outside the cab? Probly a tee to leave their test port and a shut off right outta the tee for your gauge. I would be interested in a digital one that could read either way.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Yes to both of you!:)

I believe you can also setup EFI Live to data log it with the right sensor!;)

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
RickDLance;1571474; said:
Yes to both of you!:)

I believe you can also setup EFI Live to data log it with the right sensor!;)
Funny you mention that, I have sent email to a vendor to get pricing on EFI Live and that was one of my ???? I am prolly within a couple of months from getting it. Can this data be displayed while driving, say on a touch screen monitor?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
BlackMax Canada;1571411; said:
Are you looking for an in-cab application?

Kennedy sells a vacum/pressure gage that hooks into the factory test port (underhood). That one you can check your filter line pressure (if you have pumps) or vacum for filter draw.

There is a factory test port beside the alternator (black cap) with obviously a special fitting.
Yes we do have a gauge kit. I don't run a real time gauge as the restriction swings around a lot AND you need high resolution/precision to detect when a filter starts to load. Check it at oil change time or at fillup periodically and you'll be fine:

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Hey, I've got one of those cool gauges!!:)

As far as the EFI Live question, I think you would be best to ask that in their forum and get a true answer. Mine is speculation, hear say, and hopefulness right now.;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I understand the above pictures the CP3 pump is doing no work as far as pulling fuel from the tank when you have a lift pump, no? I have no lift pump so what would be a normal vacuum reading on a new filter and what is the threshold reading on a filter starting to plug?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
aprr454;1571687; said:
If I understand the above pictures the CP3 pump is doing no work as far as pulling fuel from the tank when you have a lift pump, no? I have no lift pump so what would be a normal vacuum reading on a new filter and what is the threshold reading on a filter starting to plug?
You would have to establish a baseline for your truck. Install new filter, test it at idle, and at 3000rpm to see what vacum its pulling. I think the recommended filter change (plugging up) is about 2" more vacum than baseline.

On another note, I wouldnt really want a live fuel line running into the cab to a pod type guage anyway (if they make them). As someone suggested, just check it periodically with an underhood guage.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I normally see 3 1/2" on a new filter installation. We "try" to change ours when they hit 6-7".:)

I have ran till I 1093'd and tested and it was at 11".:eek: I do not reccomend that!

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
BlackMax Canada;1573001; said:
You would have to establish a baseline for your truck. Install new filter, test it at idle, and at 3000rpm to see what vacum its pulling. I think the recommended filter change (plugging up) is about 2" more vacum than baseline.

On another note, I wouldnt really want a live fuel line running into the cab to a pod type guage anyway (if they make them). As someone suggested, just check it periodically with an underhood guage.
:exactly: :thankyou2

I'll add that I suggest consistent fuel levels when checking. Baseline Full and 1/4 tank or however low you draw before filling is my suggestion.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i recommend the Kennedy gauge as well. It's a top notch gauge and responsive.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
If you're still wanting a gauge setup in the truck, I think you could also tap in with a tee at the purge screw location. Maybe even put a 1/4 turn ball valve there to purge with.;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts