Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out on my vacation down the Baha's Trans peninsular highway just after Christmas.About 250 miles down the nightmare began. Limp mode in the middle of the desert. Limped into lunch/tire/home of Marcelno and began eliminating problems. Fuel filter ( had an extra) disconect Edge Att./w, diconnect battery's all to no avail. Put the thumb out and hitched a ride in an 18 wheeler to Ensenada, what had taken 3hrs was now 6. Dealer does not sell/work or have anything to do with 2500hd or diesel trucks.Call the Mexican warranty #. Can't help either. Well to make it short $1400 ddls later it's back to San Diego. The code were P2149 & 2146. Brandon the sevice advisor Recalled a bulletin #05-06-04-047A. Replace injector harness and connector. My question is 1. Had I been able to reset this code would it come out of limp mode to get me back to the border. 2. Has anybody out there delt with warranty to recoup towing charges in another country?

·
Registered
513 Posts
My question is 1. Had I been able to reset this code would it come out of limp mode to get me back to the border. 2. Has anybody out there delt with warranty to recoup towing charges in another country?
Man, that sucks. I busted a boat trailer axle down there once and had to go though all kinds of hell to get it fixed to make it home. Kissed the ground when I got back to the USA that year.

On #1, probably not. The problem that has been described from that harness occurs when the harness rubs against the bracket it's mounted on. (On the passenger side front of the engine compartment near the EGR valve plug). Once it wears through, it shorts out the wires and needs to be repaired or replaced. On mine, I wrapped a piece of silicone hose around the harness where it sits in the bracket as a preventative measure.

No experience with #2...Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Once again this problem has left a truck stranded. The mod to avoid this problem is so simple everyone should do it before they take their truck out of the driveway for the first time! DO THIS MOD NOW! Just wrap the harness with about 10 layers of electrical tape where it is attached to the bracket above the FICM, check it once a month, and this problem will go away. DO IT TODAY!

2004.5 2500HD LLY/A CC SB

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Once again this problem has left a truck stranded. The mod to avoid this problem is so simple everyone should do it before they take their truck out of the driveway for the first time! DO THIS MOD NOW! Just wrap the harness with about 10 layers of electrical tape where it is attached to the bracket above the FICM, check it once a month, and this problem will go away. DO IT TODAY!

Is there any pictures out there? I'm not sure of the location of these things. Sounds easy enough.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Pictures would be great!!:ro)

·
Banned
6,537 Posts
The 2 wire bundles (emerge from the "bosch" FICM), are covered in flex tube, and wire tied to the metal bracket. I assume that is what you guys are referring to? That is a lot of rubbing to get thru the flex!

·
Registered
279 Posts

Others have said this same thing another way, but here goes
:nopics:

On to the original topic, sorry about your luck, but when I first saw the title of the thread I thought maybe you had taken my wife on vacation with you
:beerchug::badidea:
Who is your insurance company? Do they cover towing?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Damn, bad luck! :mad:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I just went out and took a few pics. You can see where I used some fuel line hose to seperate the wires from the metal bracket and zip tied with a white zip tie.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
The flex wrap (split loom) stops before the bracket. There is just a few wraps of cloth tape and then the wires are there. There are a lot of people that have had this trouble. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had the same injector harness problem, although it was not caused by the wire rubbing through. Mine was the #7 injector, a rather common occurance, caused by too much strain on the connector because of a bad fastening or braket system. Supposedly there is a new retro fit kit for the dealers to install to keep this from happening. The stupid thing is they can't install it to prevent the problem, only to fix it after it breaks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe it is only LLY specific. A few months back there were quite a few guys with this problem. The first dealer I limped into was clueless so I limped on to a GMC truck center and they knew all about it.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
That pic is not where the prob is. I know because it happened to me I will go and look exactly what the dealer did to fix tom. and post back.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have had the same injector harness problem, although it was not caused by the wire rubbing through. Mine was the #7 injector, a rather common occurance, caused by too much strain on the connector because of a bad fastening or braket system. Supposedly there is a new retro fit kit for the dealers to install to keep this from happening. The stupid thing is they can't install it to prevent the problem, only to fix it after it breaks!
Mechanic at the local GM dealership told me the problems occur with the #2 and #7 injector connectors. He also told me they will only fix the problem if it breaks, NICE going GM.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There are 2 different problems...

1. First is the rub through at the FICM Bracket which can cause a number of different codes. Most likely you will go into limp mode when the code sets. If you have a 04 or 05 LLY, open the hood and carefully check the harness where it is wire tied to the FICM Bracket. If you see any hint of a rub, tape the wire. Even if you do not see a hint of rub, protect the area with a piece of heater hose just like BOBO did in his pictures!!!

2. Second problem is the broken connector terminals on the #2 or #7 injectors. This problem will set the P0207 (#7 broken) or P0202 (#2 broken) code. If either of these codes set, you will go into limp mode.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts