Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running this stack? I know plenty are running the PPE Hot+2 with the older, original VA Smartbox, IIRC its 0-75-150hp. Others are running the regular PPE Hot, not the +2. Is anyone running the Hot+2 with the VA 180? I am currently running the VA180 and would like to add some low end so I think Im going with the Hot+2, just want to know how it will get along with my VA? maybe I'll have to turn the VA down to 90?

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I know McRat was seeing better results with the PPE +2 and the first VA on the middle (70hp?) setting. I would think you would have better results with lower settings. You will want to try different combinations of PPE tunes and VA settings. It's possible your best HP might be out of a middle setting on the PPE and a higher setting on the VA.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can get the PPE xcelerator Hot+2 with the regular Hot tune also. I just got the VA 0/70/180 box back and have not tried stacking it yet. Idahorob is stacking the regular hot with the va 180. you might want to shoot him a pm.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Did you run your Predator with the VA on the lower settings and higher settings?

If so , what did the VA do for you as far as power........noticable .....noticable between the ranges,etc.??

If I get my tranny done I am thining about the VA stack with my Predator and then moving the same direction as yourself later...........one of the hot PPE's !!

·
Registered
257 Posts
the VA 130 and predator stack good with both on kill. IIRC it made 440rwhp on mrmagu's truck. I dont know how well it stacks with the new pred 2.02. Im guessing that it will probably modify your boost too much and you will loose power.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
wait so the original VA stacked with HOT+2 makes more power than the VA180 stacked with the HOT+2??

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
wait so the original VA stacked with HOT+2 makes more power than the VA180 stacked with the HOT+2??
I don't think anyone is running that combo yet, Ben.

My PPE hot/VA180 runs great but you need lift pumps. I feel its at the max as far as what the cp3 can handle. I don't think PPE hot+2/VA180 will run well, but just a educated guess.

Like max said it will be a combo of the two on lower settings, IMO. I'm waiting on non-winter fuel, then to the dyno I go.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
hmmm yeah thats a good point. The PPE HOT fuels pretty hard as is...do you still get smoke with the twins?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The VA180 stacks well with the Predator so far, the Predator(2.02) is on the Max setting(100). Occasionally, but seemingly only when its cold, I will get slight bursting at the 3-4 shift. I do not have lift pumps yet but plan on purchasing some very soon.

I am sort of set on the Hot+2, though do not ask me why. I suppose I will get it and run it with the VA on 90, or I may run the Hot+2 on a lower setting and keep the VA at 180, or maybe even drop them both down to lower settings. I'd hate to keep them both at lower settings, feel like I'm not using well spent money.

As far as the VA180 having noticable power and making a difference, it definitely does. It helps on the low end but very minimally. The top end however is no joke. In 4th and 5th it picks up and takes off, has way more power than ever before, no turbo lag whatsoever, and great responsiveness. Its been said before, and I would definitely have to agree that the VA180 really shines on the top end. More of a freeway mobber box than a drag strip box, IMO. But that may change when combined with the Hot+2 on the right setting.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What are you seeing for EGT's with the 180/predator stack? I hit 1400 easy with just the V/A & haven't tried to stack because of that.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I hold her wide open I could probably get to 1600 degrees. By the end of the 1/4 mile I'm only at about 1400-1450. Boost tops out at 34.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Im gonna get a VA hopefully this week, I already have the Hot +2. If I get it in time I will run them this weekend at home. I would have to agree with IdahoRob, the Hot+2 plus the VA 180 is prolly a lil much,even with twins. I'll get one and see.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just installed the Hot+2...so now I have the VA180/Hot+2 stack...went out and let the trans do a little learnin', and then did some test runs.

VA180/Hot+2--starts strong, then major bursting, once bursting starts I let up and run is over.

VA90(switch in the middle)/Hot+2--runs like a raped ape, HELL YES!!! I Love this thing, Holy Smoke...pun intended...major smoke!

EGTs do climb quickly and should definitely be paid attention.

On one run I started off VA90/Hot+2 and switched up to VA180 about when I shifted into 3rd. Was going fine, haulin' ass, got a single burst and then could go no higher than 2000 rpms. Pulled over, cooled down, shut down, scanned for codes and found nothing. I was running with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. Expected to maybe find a 1093 but nothing showed up. I think I will be sticking with the hot+2/va90 combo as it seems to work the best. I may try to bump it up to 180 again around the same time that I did last time and see if I get the same result. Lift pumps and pick up have not been installed yet.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I will get mine Monday, can't wait!
jmg343........ With the stack how is the boost levels? I see you have a booststick, correct? PPE or Fingers? When I tried out the 130 version with my PPE and booststick, I didn't have guages and the turbo noise was insane.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To be honest with you I had trouble keeping an eye on my boost gauge. I was looking more at the EGTs and then ahead to make sure there was no cop coming in the opposite direction. I was also fixated on the new increased amount of smoke bellowing out of my pipe. I have the Fingers Boost stick, the noise did not strike me as being any louder or having any more whistle than normal, but today I will be sure to ignore the smoke and pay close attention to my boost gauge. I'll post my findings later.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
paid attention last night. 35lb boost gauge...pegged. Bouncing off the 35. I imagine around 36lbs of boost maybe a few more? EGTs hit 1600 pretty quick too.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
paid attention last night. 35lb boost gauge...pegged. Bouncing off the 35. I imagine around 36lbs of boost maybe a few more? EGTs hit 1600 pretty quick too.
should i remove my boost stick? anyone have any guesses as to what kind of boost I will see without it?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
should i remove my boost stick? anyone have any guesses as to what kind of boost I will see without it?
I thought that would be the case. Isn't that pretty close to what the turbo can handle?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts