Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Ingersol Rand air gun. Works great for tire changing and certain jobs. I will be removing the oil filter housing when replacing my oil lines. From what I've been reading that nut that holds the housing can be trouble. Would you use an air gun on that nut or just the socket with a breaker bar? I was leaning towards the breaker bar but given it's location I'll need to add an extension too. Extension on one end, breaker bar or pipe on the ratchet on the other I'm wondering if I'll cause more problems. Air gun justs bangs away until free.. I'm just concerned about breaking the frigin thing..:banghead:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
200 Posts
low power and rattle the tank empty

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What tank?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have an Ingersol Rand air gun. Works great for tire changing and certain jobs. I will be removing the oil filter housing when replacing my oil lines. From what I've been reading that nut that holds the housing can be trouble. Would you use an air gun on that nut or just the socket with a breaker bar? I was leaning towards the breaker bar but given it's location I'll need to add an extension too. Extension on one end, breaker bar or pipe on the ratchet on the other I'm wondering if I'll cause more problems. Air gun justs bangs away until free.. I'm just concerned about breaking the frigin thing..:banghead:

Thoughts?
There's no nut. Do you mean the center bolt? I wouldn't use an air gun on this. Spin it off with a wrench or socket. I just had mine off a recently and it wasn't difficult at all (just dirty). If you have it off, replace the three (3) o-rings while you have it off the motor.

SnowDrift

·
Registered
200 Posts
What tank?
compressor. don't really, but use lower pressure and let the tool do the work. No reason to slap it with 600+ ft/lb and snap the dang thing off.

And PB Blaster is your friend.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input.. Yea, I meant bolt. I guess I'll just use a breaker bar and see what happens. Plan on doing this project this weekend..

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I've been in the business long enough to have heard a saying that makes perfect sense to me. "If the air compressor breaks, I go home!" The only fasteners that don't get the "gun" are ones that you can't get the "gun" on!

Just kidding, don't use it on sensitive stuff, like when tightening connecting rod nuts, etc. You can, however, use it on most applications, just don't overpower the fastener.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Are you refering to the 4WD oil filter adapter? 35mm socket and a 1/2 turn will loosen it

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Short shoulder on that adapters center nut, don't use air tool on it, round it off and you are in a pickle socket & 1/2" breaker/ratchyet should be sufficient as QM states

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup.. That's the bolt.. I've heard a 35mm or 1 3/8 socket and a good breaker bar is what's needed. Just thought the air gun would be easier and less likely to require the band aids.. :)

Is there any torque setting on putting her back or just snug it up good and tight..

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
47' lbs or 63 Nm

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANK YOU!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts