Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 K3500 6.5L 4x4 ambulance
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am running a 1993 LP to feed my 1996 6.5L, there are no problems with fuel supply other than those expected with stock LPs(none yet for my use on flat ground). I have experience with boat engines, and we would always attach a "fuel water separator" somewhere inline before fuel gets to the outboard engine. Most water separators support around 30 GPH, so not high enough flow for diesel truck applications, but I found one that claims to support up to 90 GPH which is more than enough for even the 93 LP. You can simply unscrew the old filter and screw in new one to change it, replacement is pretty cheap. There are a few others with high flow support, here's another, and a 90 GPH stainless Yamaha kit. Why not mount this on the frame behind the lift pump as a further safeguard against water and large debris? Anyone ever done this?

I may upgrade to FASS or Airdog system in the future but that's a huge expense for something not doing a whole lot. Thinking of alternatives

·
Administrator
19,884 Posts
I am running a 1993 LP to feed my 1996 6.5L, there are no problems with fuel supply other than those expected with stock LPs(none yet for my use on flat ground). I have experience with boat engines, and we would always attach a "fuel water separator" somewhere inline before fuel gets to the outboard engine. Most water separators support around 30 GPH, so not high enough flow for diesel truck applications, but I found one that claims to support up to 90 GPH which is more than enough for even the 93 LP. There are a few others with high flow support, here's another. You can simply unscrew the old filter and screw in new one to change it, and is only $20 for new filter. Why not mount this on the frame behind the lift pump as a further safeguard against water and large debris? Anyone ever done this?

I may upgrade to FASS or Airdog system in the future but that's a huge expense for something not doing a whole lot. Thinking of alternatives
IMO, that is a little overkill.. The Airdog or FASS pumps have water separation and should be all you need.
I would just save up and install either of those lift pumps

Reactions: JMJNet

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The Airdog or FASS pumps have water separation and should be all you need.
I would just save up and install either of those lift pumps
IMO... FASS / Airdog systems are overkill. A decent water separator like a Parker R12P or Snapp Fit 30u would be my recommendation for a prefilter. Both are easy and inexpensive to service.

Racor R12T Separator I like this one but I would use R12 P filters, 30 micron instead of the T which is a 10

Racor SNAPP Separator This is the first fit kit with bracket and quick connects.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I really like the Fuel Manager FM100 with Brushless pump, but they are impossible to find... and are intended to replace the lift pump and final filter so you would still need a pre-filter before it.

·
Administrator
19,884 Posts
IMO... FASS / Airdog systems are overkill. A decent water separator like a Parker R12P or Snapp Fit 30u would be my recommendation for a prefilter. Both are easy and inexpensive to service.

Racor R12T Separator I like this one but I would use R12 P filters, 30 micron instead of the T which is a 10

Racor SNAPP Separator This is the first fit kit with bracket and quick connects.
I agree that they are overkill. I realized this after I installed my AirdogII 165 years ago. The main reason I wanted the Airdog was for the water separation and the pump keeps the tank cycled through the filter.
There are many Mom & Pop stations around here in the boondocks and many have been busted for putting water in their main tanks..
So I have the reassurance of the Airdog to help separate the water out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts