Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2009 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab that has already had the EGR and DPF exhaust deleted. I'm having trouble with Reduced power message on the dash, and a little less power and a lot more smoke when it happens. It was constant before finding bad terminals at the MAP sensor. Now it is intermittent. It sets zero codes, using a Tech 2, so diagnostics is lacking.

I tried to download the tune, but apparently it has DPS5 programming in it, but no switch that I can find. I just want to get a decent tune, nothing extreme that has minimal smoke and no reduced power message.

I assume I need to flash it back to factory, but then I am stuck, unless I can get a tune to fix my deletes.

Never tuned a diesel before, but am a professional mechanic.

Anybody got a good tune, or good directions for me to make a good tune, that allows me to diagnose this intermittent problem?

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Look up DSP5 install for your truck year, and you'll see where the wires go on your ECU, Find those wires if you have them, then follow them to where they go. It is possible to have a DSP5 tune, and for the switch to be removed. If that's the case, you will be stuck on the base tune. Maybe the previous owner kept the switch.

If your interested, PM me your tune, and Ill see if I can find anything that will help you with the "reduced power" message.

Did you download your current tune with EFILive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look up DSP5 install for your truck year, and you'll see where the wires go on your ECU, Find those wires if you have them, then follow them to where they go. It is possible to have a DSP5 tune, and for the switch to be removed. If that's the case, you will be stuck on the base tune. Maybe the previous owner kept the switch.

If your interested, PM me your tune, and Ill see if I can find anything that will help you with the "reduced power" message.

Did you download your current tune with EFILive?

Found a leak in the pressure side, which was skewing the MAF sensor just enough, because there wasn't much difference after the repair. Sold it with a factory tune with EGR and exhaust delete.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
There's no such thing as a factory tune w/EGR-DPF delete.

So you decided it was ok to rip someone off by selling them a truck with a known issue that'll come back to bite them? Damn.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bummer, you got rid of the truck, I think I could have solved your problem. Just today I solved an identical problem for free. Well it did cost me manual labor, and yours would have also. Basically my Fuel Pressure Bypass Valve had failed, and I was able to increase the preload on that spring. For only the cost of the manual labor.

Found a leak in the pressure side, which was skewing the MAF sensor just enough, because there wasn't much difference after the repair. Sold it with a factory tune with EGR and exhaust delete.
You have no idea how he disclosed to his customer, what the issues with the truck were. He said he was a mechanic, I'm sure he disclosed the issues.

There's no such thing as a factory tune w/EGR-DPF delete.

So you decided it was ok to rip someone off by selling them a truck with a known issue that'll come back to bite them? Damn.

I bought a Cummin's with 210K on the ODO, and within 6 weeks, it developed blow-by idling in a parking lot for 20 minutes (a common known problem with Cummin's). I said what a PIECE OF ****.... all of my die-hard Cummin's friends said..."You should have known better than to let it idle like that.

I said, "I told ALL of you guys I'm buying my first Cummin's!" I expected some comments from all of them about the DO's and DONT's. Crickets! Lesson learned... Dont buy a Cummin's

Oh, and their MPG indicated at the dashboard is a total fabrication. I witnessed as much as a 4 MPG difference, to lead the owner into believing they are getting 17+MPG, when they are actually getting 12-13MPG.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts