Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Dodge buddies told me yesterday that after he drains his used oil, he just dumps it into his fuel tank:eek: . Anyone ever heard of doing this? Have any thoughts about it? I would never ever do this to my truck no matter what the cost of fuel rises to.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Carbon (soot) is very abrasive! I can't imagine what it would do to an Injection pump.

I burn used oil in an old house furnace. Makes great heat for the shop.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He says the fuel filter will catch all the bad stuff, soot, etc.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
If you've ever bought injector cleaner and added it to your fuel tank, I suppose adding used oil will do the opposite. I saw a thread somewhere on here about the military reclaiming used motor oil for motor fuel. It went into a machine where it's mixed with diesel and then filtered.

I for one, add my used oil to my home heating oil. It's a dilute blend and it's a good way to recycle it..

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
That was a old practice that use to happen. It was my understanding that service stations that sold diesel would actually dump their used oil into the diesel tank. However diesel engines are quite different today and that is now illegal ( for service stations anyway). In Calif any auto parts place that sell x amount of oil has to accept used oil. Many citys also have hazardous waste facilities that accept oil - all free. Why anyone would dump used oil into their $40k plus truck is :Insane:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
around me everyone uses it to heat their shop/pole building. Good cheap heat.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Every post above-----:exactly:

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you used tranny fluid (which stays quite a bit cleaner) and filtered it before you used it? I don't think I would do it in a Duramax, but in one of the older mechanically injected trucks (like mine, although I'll admit I won't be the Guinea pig for testing this).

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you used tranny fluid (which stays quite a bit cleaner) and filtered it before you used it? I don't think I would do it in a Duramax, but in one of the older mechanically injected trucks (like mine, although I'll admit I won't be the Guinea pig for testing this).
Probably would be ok as long as it wasn't burnt to a crisp then what would be the point of using it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Tranny fluid burns hotter. In the old screaming detroits aka 3,4,6 & 854's or 71's fuys used to add a quart of tranny to 20 gal fuel to clean injectors. If you added to much to too little you could have a melt down.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
One of my Dodge buddies told me yesterday that after he drains his used oil, he just dumps it into his fuel tank:eek: . Anyone ever heard of doing this? Have any thoughts about it? I would never ever do this to my truck no matter what the cost of fuel rises to.
Hey, he bought a Dodge...... do you really think he knows what he's talking about?:p:

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Like Tom says it's a Dodge :duh: Still I wouldn't do it, by the way what yr is your buddies Dodge

1 - 13 of 13 Posts