Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to burn used motor oil in my truck. I have quite a few gallons of it in my garage. If I figure out a way to filter it into my tank is it ok to burn it? What is the your recommendations for the filters ect.? How much can I burn at one time per tank?

P.S. I have no other way to get rid of it. None of the parts stores or stations around here will take it.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
You can filter it and run about 5% blend, but just remember, those tiny particles of carbon that make the oil black are abrasive and could cause premature wear on your injection pump. I have run waste oil many times in the past with the only real problem of plugging fuel filters more often.;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
you could always build a waste oil burner and use it to heat your garage/shed/water/house(if you build it right)
I have one that heats my 24x40 shop ....1 gal/hr and its so hot i can leave the door open at 20 degrees (F). I'm looking to build some different styles to get more efficient heat, but i cant seem to find the time. PM me if you want some more info/help.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
has any body ever mixed it in with their home heating oil? I'm wondering what that would do to my oil burner.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
A lot of people do that Joispoi. Filter it first though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
you could always build a waste oil burner and use it to heat your garage/shed/water/house(if you build it right)
I have one that heats my 24x40 shop ....1 gal/hr and its so hot i can leave the door open at 20 degrees (F). I'm looking to build some different styles to get more efficient heat, but i cant seem to find the time. PM me if you want some more info/help.
Where did you get the plans to build such a machine? Is the smoke from it pitch black? Very interested in doing such a machine we get about 10 gal of used oil a week. We have 55gal drums full of the stuff out back, from changing the oil in our vehicles and freinds/family. Propane is getting to be expensive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dan,

It looks to me that extrude honing wouldn't be all that bad. I dunno though I are not be the smartest grunt in the platoon.

Looks like smoothing the walls of my fuel sytem down would increase fuel flow and ease of flow by removing the burr's that cause friction. May also smooth the flow through the injectors.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Looks like smoothing the walls of my fuel sytem down would increase fuel flow and ease of flow by removing the burr's that cause friction. May also smooth the flow through the injectors.
I'm not touching this one!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
yah thats one website..i kinda read them all and then made my own, kindof a combination of designs.

Mine doesnt burn black at all once the oil is pre-heated, and the cumbustion air fan is on i can hold a piece of paper towel in the flue and it stays white. The hardest part is trying to design it so that most of the heat doesnt go up the chimney.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The hardest part is trying to design it so that most of the heat doesnt go up the chimney.
I've seen a design that ran the chimney thru another 45 gallon barrel. The bottom barrel was the stove (layed on its side) the chimney from the lower barrel was plumbed into the barrel above it (it too was laid on its side) and the chimney was plumbed in to the oppisite end, so that the upper barrel acted as a huge heat exchanger.
Mind you it was a wood burning garage stove and it kicked out a lot of heat.
Maybe this could be added to your existing stove?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Yeah - it'd be like a very-low-pressure hi-volume charge-air cooler.

Fan blowing across the fins\tubes would pump the heat into the room.

Greater the fan velocity\volume, greater the heat transfer\echange, cooler the flue draft.

Right?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I saw those Nick. God, that had to be 20 years ago that I used to see them in Popular Science Magazine.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Burning used motor oil would

- dispose of the used oil

-save money on fuel

- maybe compensate for worn inj pump and injectors - increased viscosity

- contaminate the system with acids, soot, varnish, various metallic wear debris

- Inj Pump is lubricated by Diesel fuel

Consider the 'extrude-hone' concept, then picture those last two points, in combination.........................

·
Registered
332 Posts
here's one style....i like it but no time to fab it up. I would like the auto burner control b/c i don't like babysitting it. I could switch mine over to auto valves and have a glow plug as an ignitor, lol might have some use for all those 60g's i have laying around.

I thought about using the control off of an old diesel space heater, leave it on pilot all the time w/diesel and have the valves for oil set on temp switches, that way there would always be flames present. I guess i could use propane as a pilot but i would like to get away from anything that costs too much money.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I saw those Nick. God, that had to be 20 years ago that I used to see them in Popular Science Magazine.
Yup it was at least 20 yrs ago!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts