Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is interested in a used 03 Cummins (he is a dodge man) anyways how many miles is too much? FOr instance he found a 03 Quad Cab 4x4 with 68,000 miles for 24,900. I know the motor isnt hurt but how are the auto trannies in these things do they hold up?
Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
that truck could have a 48re or 47re and it could be a HO or SO or cali motor I would want a slt for that price.if it has the 48re (if its a HO it will) that is a good tranni dont hear of many problems with it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
look at the sticker in the glove box it will say DG8 for the 48re.look on the valve cover on drivers side and see what hp it has it will be either 305 250 or 235.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Keep in mind that with the Cummins it isnt even really broke in until 100,000 miles. So he has a lot of miles left in that one.

As long as he doesnt bomb the motor and drive it like a dog the trans should hold up for some time. It will depend on the previous owner too though. He doesnt have to baby it, but he shouldnt drive it like he stole it 100% of the time either and it will be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
iI HAVE A 02 DODGE CUMMINGS AND READY TO MOVE UP TO A LATER model or a duramax . my truck is a 6 speed manual allison and is great but the wife will not drive it so I am going to go auto this time and searching for comments on dodge and chevy auto trans.. hijack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts