Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello diesel fanatics, Just picked up a step van 03 workhorse p42 6.5l the oil pan is removed and exhaust disconnected, no batteries, i want to get your advice since pan is off, what do i need to look out for if motor is bad? i havent started it yet either. I wanted to post on the forum to see what others would do and get some advice to get the stepvan back up and running . Thank you so much i would love to hear from you guys. Stay safe

·
Registered
137 Posts
Look for cracks in the main webs. If no cracks then do a compression test. If the main webs and compression test look good you may be ok. How many miles are on it?

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
16,018 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

With the pan off you want to look for any cracks in the Mains and Webs of the block. A can of Brake clean applied to the areas of the block you might suspect are cracked will bring out the oil from the cracks and make them more visible.
Do a visual inspection of the crankshaft, make sure it is not cracked/broken.
Inspect the bottom of the oil pan for any metal shavings/debris.
Inspect the oil pump pick up for any metal/foreign material attached to the pickup screen.
Inspect the oil cooler lines to/from the block for any broken/leaking lines.
If the motor has to OEM oil cooler lines it is recommended that you upgrade those lines to Braided Stainless lines.
The OEM lines are only held onto the block with a "C" clip and over time will vibrate off or corrosion will take them out.
Once the clip is gone the engine will dump your oil and by the time the light appears on the dash, it will be too late..

Check the Harmonic Balancer and Pulley.
Both parts contain rubber and will crack/dry rot. Replace them as a matched set.

Reactions: 56pan
1 - 3 of 3 Posts