Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this doing a google search. And the wording between federal and state rules seems ambiguous.

My truck and trailer is registered in Rhode Island and is for personal use. However, RI laws indicate any vehicle over 8,800# GVW has commercial plates. Combined, I'm over 10,000 GVW with a trailer. I recently won a bid of a skid-steer off ebay and will require local pick-up in NY. The skid steer will be used at my home so the trip will legitimately be for personal use. Truck & trailer is up to date on inspection and I have a health ID card. I was once pulled over a few years ago which lead to the need for a DOT number (although currently inactive).

I could update the DOT and re-instate but FMCSA website is misleading and wherever I read, it seems a DOT number is needed for commerce use. Should I bother re-instating?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I would think a bill of sale stating the skid steer is yours would be prove enough your not commercial.

I know laws very state from state. Stop in a scale house or call state police and ask.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I called FMCSA's 800 number and had no luck. No person to person communication, just a teleprompter indicating to go to their website for further information. I noticed there was a "chat" icon so I was able to have a "chat" with someone, finally. However, this person was of no help but told me I needed to contact my State DOT safety office.

After a couple of calls, I was able to finally speak to someone on the matter. But, I didn't get a clear answer.

I think it all depends on the condition of the equipment, the personality of the officer and his/her suspicion if you're operating under commerce.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Good to know its not just my state that is like that.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
A Not for hire sign on truck should cover you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts