Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there is such a thing available? I have an mp3 deck with an aux (xm, ipod, etc) rca input. I was thinking...If i had a cable which would convert a usb signal to rca's then i could play new mp3's through my usb pen drive as i rip them, without having to burn a new disk everytime. So much quicker and easier and cheaper. If an adapter like this doesn't exist already remember it was my idea! ;)

thanks.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Umm.... hmmmm.... it wouldn't be something as simple as an adapter. RCA is analog audio, and USB is actually a serial interface/networking protocol. The "conversion" would entail having a device that can read the file, decode the information, then convert it to analog audio.

Basically, you're asking for an MP3 player with the ability to read directly from a USB input.

The closest thing you'll find would be maybe an Ipod with a headphone/line level convertor. Load your MP3s onto the Ipod at home from your PC and feed it into the aux input. Radio Shack sells cables with a headphone plug on one end and pair of RCAs on the other with a small resistor inline to drop the level from headphone to line (RCA).
The impedance won't be properly matched, so you may lose some high frequencies, but it'll work without having to continually burn CDs.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
That will only allow you to use the computer's USB output to drive an amplifier directly. It will not convert a "thumb drive" to RCA audio signals.

You could use this, but you will need a laptop between the thumb drive and the RCA aux input.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That will only allow you to use the computer's USB output to drive an amplifier directly. It will not convert a "thumb drive" to RCA audio signals.

You could use this, but you will need a laptop between the thumb drive and the RCA aux input.
Censored Censored Censored

·
Registered
21 Posts
This will cost more money, but I've been wanting something similar also. I've seen at crutchfield.com, two JVC headunits KD-G720, KD-G820($200 and $250)with an external USB port on the face. Kenwood ($200) KDC-MP5032U has one but unsure where the port is.
I hope this is the wave of the future. I have a Creative mp3 player and there are no interface boxes that let me control the player thru the headunit. Since I don't own an IPOD I can't get this feature. It sucks!
later
Mike

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah there are more and more headunits coming out with usb drives. I was just hoping to find a way to use usb with my current deck and aux rca's. guess i will just have to keep thinking or cough up the $$$$.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts