Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after much mulling, I think I'm going to end up going with a Suncoast Stage III.

I've been running a predator on my stock Ally on various power levels for about 25,000 miles (trans has about 33,000 on it). I've limped it twice while rolling into it in 5th gear on the Interstate (100hp predator).

My question is this: Have I damaged anything that is not included in the SC III kit? Would I end up having to buy any extra parts? Would I be better off moving up to a IV??

Thanks guys, I'm SOOOOOOOO close to a built trans :)

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
310 674 4400 ;)

I believe you are fine with the LLY. I think they changed bushings awhile back.....Mike could tell you what was the cut off for needing to change them.

I can let you barrow my little PTO/engin stand adapter if you need it:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok, after much mulling, I think I'm going to end up going with a Suncoast Stage III.

I've been running a predator on my stock Ally on various power levels for about 25,000 miles (trans has about 33,000 on it). I've limped it twice while rolling into it in 5th gear on the Interstate (100hp predator).

My question is this: Have I damaged anything that is not included in the SC III kit? Would I end up having to buy any extra parts? Would I be better off moving up to a IV??

You got er...stage 5 time :ro) .....then put the 'ol girl on some drugs and master that new EFI live. The only problem is now your daily driver is faster then the blue bomb :grd:

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

A stage III replaces all forward clutches but C5.So it will replace any damaged clutches you will have.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You got er...stage 5 time :ro) .....then put the 'ol girl on some drugs and master that new EFI live. The only problem is now your daily driver is faster then the blue bomb :grd:
It already is!!!! -:t ):h

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A stage III replaces all forward clutches but C5.So it will replace any damaged clutches you will have.
Thanks for the offer Phil, might need to meet up for a few BEvERageS one of these nights so I can snag that from you.

Thanks for the info, Mackin. :ro)

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
A reason to drink beer? I duno.....you may have to twist my arm):h

I also have the Mike L transgo book. Definatly keep Mike L's number handy if you do her;)

Leme know when you get ready to do the deal :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
You sellin tickets?? I might like to take a look if you are going to tackle the trans yourself. I am pretty handy and I may want to do mine at a later date.
PS I will bring the cooler!:grd:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I *might* try to tackle this myself, but more than likely, I'll do it up in Green Bay, where my buddy is the Dmax / Allison tech at the dealer I bought it from. He said we could do it on a Saturday, off the clock and have it going again the same day. Plus, he won't charge me anything except beer and a ride when it's done.

Tempting to say the least. (Hoist, GM specialty tools, someone who knows WTF they're doing...hehe)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OH, and BTW, I don't think we need something as trivial as a Suncoast install to sit around, drinking beer and telling diesel lies. ;)

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
You got my number;) I'd say whatcha doing tonight but there is a possibility of snow:clap:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure looks like rain to me!!!

There's still time! We got a crew going to see Hairbangers Ball in Bloomington.
The scenery there is nice :)

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Wasted Income-- If you're doing it yourself, Id be happy to send you my hundreds of pics I took when I did my rebuild... I also highly reccomend the ATSG Allison 1000 manual...Personally I found it more organized and easier to follow than the TransGo book...

--Ben

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Wasted Income-- If you're doing it yourself, Id be happy to send you my hundreds of pics I took when I did my rebuild... I also highly reccomend the ATSG Allison 1000 manual...Personally I found it more organized and easier to follow than the TransGo book...

--Ben
Ben, I might take you up on that offer you gave Wasted Income... the pics that is. I was reading that long a** thread you had going "...off to a flying start", and I just have to say that I'm impressed! I'm thinking of doing the Suncoast IV, but don't have the balls to take on that kind of project by myself. I have no fear R&R-ing the transmission and transfer case, but that's as far as I normally go. Not having a vehicle lift, I would hate to have to repeat the R&R steps should I screw something up. That's why I would have a shop do the actual rebuild. Odds are that it's done right, but I must say, you inspired me to possibly do it myself. I've rebuilt plenty of engines, just never a transmission :eek: .

Ratlover...

You a dealer with Suncoast components? Or just lending a helpful hand?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

--Ben
Ben,
If you could burn a CD and send it out my way, it'd be much appreciated. :ro)

I'll send you some ching to make it worth your while.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
no problem, PM me your address....

--ben

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a manual as well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sonofabich....limped it again today...stupid custom EFI Live tunes!! Censored ):h

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
You better get on that transmission upgrade :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts