Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm new to the forum and new to diesels so I'll be relying on you guys & gals to help me make some decisions.

I just purchase a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT3 Crew Cab, Standard Box, 4X4 with the Duramax LBZ 6600 Turbo Diesel Engine with a 3.73 rear axel ratio last Tuesday. I’ve already dressed it up with Line-X bed liner, Chrome Wheels w/285 All-Terrain Tires, Chrome Step Bars, Chrome door handles and tailgate handle, etc…

Now I want to do some upgrading on the diesel engine. Like most people, I want the best of both worlds, gas mileage and power; however, if I had to pick one over the other I would have to go with increasing the gas mileage. I want to upgrade the Duramax with a chip, exhaust system, air cleaner, air cooler, etc… and since my mechanical knowledge is extremely limited to basically putting diesel in, starting the engine and turning the stereo on I need a system that is relatively easy to use and program. I’ve heard good and bad about the Bully Dog and Banks systems but I have no feedback on the other manufactures out there.

I understand installing these goodies voids ones warranty so I’m interested in hearing how to get around this issue as well. I appreciate any feedback and / or suggestions you more experienced diesel owners can give me. Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well I'm new to the forum and new to diesels so I'll be relying on you guys & gals to help me make some decisions.
First of all... Let me be the first (Since I am the first) to Welcome you to the forum... :welcome:

If you look at my "Garage" you'll see I've installed the "MBRP" Cool Duals (Cat Back), and I've used the "Bully Dog" (BD) Power Pup... There are "Lots" of comments about using "Programmers" on this forum...

Take a look at http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...egoryID=11#109

And / Or Look at the Allison OEM and Aftermarket Forums... :exactly:

Before you do any "Modifications", you should look at all the stuff posted... (Which is way too much)

So... in the meantime;

Post some pictures of your truck, complete your "Signature", and fill your garage with pictures... and ask as many questions as you feel necessary to make you feel comfortable. (We all had "One" post in the past)

Enjoy your new ride... :muahaha:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Congrats on the new truck, sounds nice although you didn't mention color. What we really need are some pics since you have already done tires and wheels.

Regarding tuners, 360 HP is not enough???:eek: I read on this forum yesterday that Allison has put out a bulletin warning owners about chips and that the LBZ is already pushing the limits of the stock Allison.

Enjoy your new truck!:cool:

Rick

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Congrats on the new truck, sounds nice although you didn't mention color. What we really need are some pics since you have already done tires and wheels.

Regarding tuners, 360 HP is not enough???:eek: I read on this forum yesterday that Allison has put out a bulletin warning owners about chips and that the LBZ is already pushing the limits of the stock Allison.

Rick

Trust me after being on this site for a while you will find that stock is not an option

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The truck is white and the tires are BF Goodrich on 20" rims. Pictures will have to wait awhile but I will get them on the site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Rick
So now I'm confused - are you saying just put the exhaust system and air filter on and leave it at that? Is adding a chip to risky?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
So now I'm confused - are you saying just put the exhaust system and air filter on and leave it at that? Is adding a chip to risky?
It depends.

How deep are your pockets? ;)

Some of the transmission experts on this site have seen trannies behind chipped LBZ's in tough shape (requiring rebuilds). The allison is a stout tranny, but the clutch material and converters used by the factory are only able to hold stock engine output. If you had an older Dmax that put out less power, you could add a moderate chip and be OK. Now the stock output of these engines is so much that it is close to reaching the stock allison limits.

The allison can be "built" to hold some major power, but it takes removal and $$$.

GM also just sent out a letter stating that any power adders will cause the allison to fry in short order on the new 06's because of the increase in stock HP/TQ, so they will not rebuild it under warrantee if the failure was caused by a tuner. GM will soak you heavily for a rebuild. For the same money you can have a tranny from one of our supporting vendors that will hold some power.

It really depends on what you feel comfortable with, but please don't add a chip, fry your tranny, and expect GM to pay as it affects all of us.

Welcome to the site, and have fun with your new truck. :grd:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well...

Hey "Oldman"... (Me too!) ):h

Anyways... The exhaust system... I added the "Cool Duals" just for that reason... They're Cool. :cool2:

Because they are "Cat-Back" they really don't do a lot. (It sounds a little better, to me)

If you remove the "CAT" you'll get "Codes" (Your Check Engine Light will come on) and... You could void your Warranty...

I also bought the BD Power Pup. I tried the "Economy/Tow" setting and I got more "Power" and better fuel mileage... I tried the other two settings as well. The "Performance" setting has "Lots" of power. If you can keep your foot out of it the mileage is real good, too. The "Extreme" is WOW... But "Everyone" says I need a Transmission "Upgrade" if I want to use it. So... After reading the "Allison" threads, I've decided to go back to stock for a while...

AND... You have to "Un-Install" the "Tune" before you take it in for service... or you could void your (100,000-Mile) warranty.

As far as "Air" goes... Most of the posts here say the "Stock" air intake system is "Very Good" and you would not see much (if any) difference by changing it. Take a look at;

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66536&highlight=K%26N

There is "Lots" of information here... It's "Enlightened" me about a lot of things.

Have fun with your new ride and take a look around this "Forum"...

Then make your (Informed) decision(s) about Modifications...:exactly:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For Now!!

For now I just going to do the exahust and air cleaner and not take a chance with a chip until everyone better understands with the relationships between the LBZ and chips.

I appreciate everyones feedback. I'll get some pictures on as soon as I'm finished with the truck. Thanks again.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Boooyahhhhhh!!!!!! on your new truck. Congrat's!!!

Truck on!!!:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts