Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting the most life out of my truck. What aftermarket products would help with that. I know I have to get the engine to breathe better...that is a given. I am not anal about maintenance and perform it per the manufacturers instructions. The one time I changed the fuel filter at a 10,000mi interval and cut it open, I said, "I'll never do that again!" It looked like the pic of the 2000 mi filter in a previous thread. I have 85,000mi with no injector issues as of yet.

I was thinking a 4" exhaust, ram air, and a Banks charge air cooler. This would definitely lower my egt's. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Secondary Fuel Filter, 1st priority (pre or post OEM). After that, what ever your wallet can take...exhaust, guages, power enhancement.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
I am interested in getting the most life out of my truck. What aftermarket products would help with that. I know I have to get the engine to breathe better...that is a given. I am not anal about maintenance and perform it per the manufacturers instructions. The one time I changed the fuel filter at a 10,000mi interval and cut it open, I said, "I'll never do that again!" It looked like the pic of the 2000 mi filter in a previous thread. I have 85,000mi with no injector issues as of yet.

I was thinking a 4" exhaust, ram air, and a Banks charge air cooler. This would definitely lower my egt's. What do you guys think?
In order of PERSONAL preference.

1. Gauges
2. Liftpump and Prefilter (Nicktane/Kennedy/TTS)
3. Exhaust (Banks/MBRP/TTS)
4. Mild Power enhancer (Juice Attitude/TTS Tow/Van Aaken/PPE/Bullydog)
5. Transgo Shiftkit
This will run you 2600- 3200.00 (Not including install)

Banks CAC will show it's greatest gains when you break out over 500RWHP. It will help to reduce EGT's at stock fuelling, but not as dramatic a drop as their exhaust (as an example)(Especially their piping:ro) for both Exhaust and CAC )

·
Registered
772 Posts
If long life is what you're after, supplemental fuel and oil filtration are the places to start. After that gauges, engine breathing, and mild power enhancements. More power means more stress and more wear, so moderation would be the key to a long life. Be careful with intake systems some allow more dirt than the factory filter, which is not a step in the right direction. A freer exhaust with attendant lower EGTs seems like a good idea.

TC

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've already got the extra fuel and oil filtering with a Nicktane fuel filter and an Amsoil dual remote oil filter, plus I use Amsoil diesel fuel additive for additional fuel lubricity and cleaning.
I'm thinking that next is a Linex bed liner. But as far as extending engine longevity goes, I'm considering the Amsoil engine pre oiler. This apparatus stores a quart or so of oil under pressure that is released into the oil galley when you turn on the ignition key, insuring oil pressure to the bearings even before the engine starts to spin. Once the engine fires, the extra quart of oil is pumped back into the reservoir for the next shutdown and restart.
If you've ever operated a vehicle with a direct reading oil pressure gauge and observed it closely on startup after overnight shutdown, you know that it takes at least a couple of seconds on most engines to get up oil pressure.
This situation is said by many authoritative people to be the major source of bearing wear, especially in short trip operation.
Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you want longivity, regular servicing, TLC and addressing any issues immediately will take care of that. Everything else just makes it go from point A to point B in less time while drawing approving stares from onlookers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts