Diesel Place banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I replaced my temp sensor thinking maybe it was just that simple. No change. Next I think I'll replace the thermostats as that is also rather quick and inexpensive.
I'm not doing a lot of towing right now and the weather is cold so it hasn't been much of a priority.
I agree, it seems like the radiator could just be cleaned out but I don't know. If I go to all the trouble of removal and re-installation plus paying for having it cleaned out I may just do a new one anyway. It's not that much more money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You should be able flush the rad and clean the overflow tank and then new thermostats or add small secondary rad mounted to the bottom for extra cooling.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, just for an update, I had both thermostats replaced and the truck did not go over about 205 when pulling 10,000 pounds. I didn't go over any mountains but I was being pretty aggressive with the throttle going up some rather steep hills. The same type hills that previously would have cause the gauge to climb quickly.

·
Administrator
15,966 Posts
So, just for an update, I had both thermostats replaced and the truck did not go over about 205 when pulling 10,000 pounds. I didn't go over any mountains but I was being pretty aggressive with the throttle going up some rather steep hills. The same type hills that previously would have cause the gauge to climb quickly.
Cleaning the Cooling Stack helps a lot.
You would be suprised at how much those fins get clogged and the temp differences after cleaning..

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you're at the point of wanting a new radiator, I have one. I ordered the Arctic cooler from the DMAXSTORE and somehow ordered two. I can save you the cross-country shipping costs!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts