Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the latest fuel filter discussions and wonder does anyone make a better OEM replacement filter?

I will install a second unit if I have to, but wouldn't an upgraded OEM filter replacement provide better protection with the existing equipment?

If not seems like this is a great business opportunity for someone.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nothing available right now and I think it's due to the style of the filter and Racor having a patent. So your better off adding a 2nd filter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If thats the case you think Racor would come out with a premium brand. More money for better performance. From what I have read it sounds like you guys would pay more for a better filter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
A better business oppertunity (sp?) might be for some one to machine an adapter to screw a 2 micron filter onto the existing head. I think that I remember reading where someone had done that. IIRC the draw back was no water in fuel light. I for one could get over the loss of the water in fuel light for 2 micron filteratrion
and the only mods to stock would be non intrusive and easily removed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
A member at TDP was doing just that. Don't know how it has progressed.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
The real drawback is being mounted on the engine block directly. Those kinds of vibrations along with injection harmonics could reduce your filters capabilties.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Frank Blum had some pretty good looking numbers on his last fuel analysis, filter mounted on A/C bracket.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
chipper said:
Frank Blum had some pretty good looking numbers on his last fuel analysis, filter mounted on A/C bracket.
Yes they were and that's good news. I'm wondering if he added rubber isolation spacers to it? I thought he was going to.

Lone Eagle... ??

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hoot,

I personally would like to double filter the fuel. IMHO filtering the fuel to say 10 microns then to 2 would give the filters a longer life. I would like to frame mount a Cat 10 micron and then screw on a 2 micron on to the factory mount. I think that eliminating the factory filter would be the way to go. I'm envisioning say the Nictane mount on the frame and maybe a Cat 2 micron in place of the factory filter. I'm afraid that a 2 micron the size of the stock filter may not last very long if the fuel was not pre-filtered first.Edited by: a64pilot

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
George Morrison is the prefilter king. He prefilters his fuel before putting it in his tank. The reason being, if you start off with clean fuel, a good final filter is able to do a much better job.

Your idea is similar to simply using a 2 micron post OEM filter. That's what I do. Let the OEM take out the rocks and sticks and a secondary filter for the rest through a large, high quality filter.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Frank had some great numbers, but he also took the sample with the engine shut off. It would be interesting to see if the fuel was filtered just as well with the truck running. I think he has a really good location and mount.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hoot, I did not rubber mount mine. I decided to run it the way it was and wait for the fuel test results. I was not concerned with mounting it on the engine because that is where most big rigs have theirs. Most heavy equipment, portable and stationary generators, to name a few, have the filters mounted on the engine. I asked Racor if there was a problem with the engine mount. They sent back a one sentence answer. They said: We do not recommend engine mounting do to the clogging factor. Dah! I asked them to elaborate but did not get a response. Later!

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Frank...

What's most important is your results.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Absolutely Hoot. The numbers speak for themselves. OC_Dmax said awhile back that anyone running two Racors are getting results as good as his. I am a firm believer now in going the extra mile to get a clean sample. I followed Alan's routine as close as possible and our results were as close as possible. Are you any closer getting yours back on the road? Later! Frank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts