Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Power Pup for over a month or so now. I'm very happy with it, but I want some more power. I can either A.) unlock the 150hp setting or B.) buy a Juice with Atitude.. What should I do??

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
C.) Upgrade transmission...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the Allison have troubles at 110HP setting on the Edge???

Also even at the 90hp setting which one is going to be faster?

·
Registered
795 Posts
For the record, with a stock tranny, I ran the Hot Juice (125hp)for a year with no problems, but I only took it to the track once. Also I ran around in level 3 most of the time with tow haul at level 4 (125hp).

For the record, I certainly do not ***** foot around on the street, all the time.

Tranny shop said the clutches still looked good when they upgraded my tranny. NOW... I contribute that to the saftey features built into the Edge product. Any power box with 125 HP +- that does not have those saftey features may have damaged the tranny, according to what I read. Edited by: gmccall

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Powell,

It would be very interesting to see which of the above is faster. I know that the 150hp Bullydog hauls ass! (Actually, in their literature, it is rated at 155hp) But, the Bullydog offers no tranny protection. On four trucks that we tested for the 155hp Bullydog, the 2001 and 2002 trannys limped every time. The 2003 and 2004 models never limped-but it has to be damn hard on those clutches. I called Bullydog, and they said that the surfacing on the clutch plates for the 2003's and newer grabbed better. They said that 70% of the time on the 2001 and 2002's the tranny would "zing" and 30% of the time on the 2003's and newer. Like Kennedy said, I would upgrade the tranny if you wanted the 150hp program from Bullydog. I would think the Bullydog would be slightly faster, because of no defueling, but I've never raced the two and have never timed the 150hp program in the 1/4 mile. Alot of people seem to like the Edge, and it gives you alot of options. Just some food for thought-if you like top speed-the Bullydog bypasses the speedlimiter AND raises the RPM's, while the Edge does not. I would think that you could reach 125mph with the Bullydog. For me, I'll never buy another module/programmer that doesn't do this. But that may not be of priority to you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So on the 150hp setting the 03s and 04s have not really limped the tranny much. I would only be using it some of the time, I daily drive on 90hp.. My only complaint is that sometimes my transmissions downshifts, and does weird things that I know it does not need to do.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
We've probably run the 2003 and 2004 models about 15 times through the 1/4 mile on the 150hp setting. So far, none of these trucks have limped-not once. These trucks are extended cab short boxes unloaded. That's all I can say. Don't shoot me if yours does, though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See Im tempted to buy a Edge box now, I called bully dog and said the 03 and 04 trannies will not limp and that they would actually just burn up the stock clutchs... which would be no good! I honestly need to find someone in Houston that has a Edge with Aditude so I can see how they like it, and if they can take me for a ride in it that would be better. I want to see how it feels compared to my Bully Dog.

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
If anything, it seems the 2003/4 trucks hold a bit less power...

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
anything that gives more than 125hp will take tthe tranny out, keep that in mind, some will take longer than others, but will die with time, personal exsperience

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
We limped a fairly brandy spanking new Duramax with a hot juice .... I warned him ...I was riding shot gun ....

Spooled up a burner 1,2,3 rubber then nothing but revs ....

Yes if you mash it off the curb in limp it still spun the stock tires ...

Mac

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Powell

What I can tell you is the '01 - '04 transmissions all use the same clutches and steels in them. In 2002 Allison changes the grooves in the clutch material and that's it. So the changes were made during the 2002 production run. IF you use the power wisely you can run anything you want but if you hotrod it on a 4 - 5 upshift with a box that truely makes 110 or more RwHp you will put the transmission into limp. Sorry, but that's fact not fiction for all model years. The Edge's gain by defueling on the shift helps with this but if you have the attitude you can switch this feature off. So if you cannot control yourself..........

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Kennedy said:
If anything, it seems the 2003/4 trucks hold a bit less power...

That's a fact. I believe GM changed the parameters in the '03 and '04 and the TCM will not accept as much power as in previous years. I truly believe my TCM has alzhiemers programed into it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've run the 150 hp Power Pup, the "new" Quad 135 tunes and the latest Hot Juice. The only problems I have had are the same with both pup and quad boxes. The PP and Q-135 are both really good, but certainly don't do much for your stock tranny.

Since Installing the Hot Juice/Attitude never a limp, no issues, no problem at all. Granted I have not run a fully spooled up launch and really don't expect to very often until I get a tranny kit . . . just plain stupid with a stock transmission. I also defuel between "all" shifts.

Have run a best of 6.4 on level 4 and 5.9 on level 5 0-60 according to the Attitude monitor. This is just with mashing it, no spooling whatsoever.

Will it do better . . . sure . . . but with a stock tranny right now, I really don't care to try.

I really love the Hot Juice / Atitude combo along with the ATS console mount. For me it's a no brainer . . . it works!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts