Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased an 04.5 cc/lly/4x4 (1st diesel) and I am beginning to upgrade it w/ the basics (edge,exhaust,intake). I plan on stacking it w/ westers and adding dual lift pumps, booststick, egr, and fingerstick etc. I was wondering which would be the smartest way to upgrade the tranny to handle the power (I am shooting for 500hp and 1200ft lbs at the wheels). I have been checking out ATS, but is it really necessary to spend 6000 on a tranny? Can you guys maybe point me into a direction in an intelligent manner based on advantages/disadvantages of the selection. Since this is my 1st dmax, I don't want to make the wrong decision especially if it could cost an arm/leg. I also drive the truck daily (75-100 miles) so drivability is an issue.

Cory

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Were are you located?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Cool I'll get the popcorn.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
If you figure out how to get 500/1200 out of an LLY, let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm....

I live 30 miles north of what is left of New Orleans.

So 500wrhp is a dream??? I am still learning, so be easy on the new guy...for a while.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DURAtotheMAX

What is your truck making with its setup?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Ahh im not sure...never had it on the dyno...Probably around 430-440 rwhp. As far as stacking, the Edge does not help. So I pretty much run the PPE HOT alone, maybe the Edge on 1 or 2. I am going to switch over to the Van Aaken 180 box ASAP. I also have EFI Live so I can make changes to tunes adn write my own tunes, which is nice, because you can really increase the boost easilly without a Boost Stick.

Im not sure if we'll see more than 500 rwhp out of an LLY with the stock turbo. It all depends what TTS brings to the table when they come out with their next big thing in April.

But if you want to make big power on a stock LLY now, you'll need:

-Built trans
-PPE HOT +2
-Van Aaken box
-Shimmed pressure releif valve
-Lift pumps
-EFI Live (with this you wont need finger/boost sticks, EGR blocker plate, and its incredibly versatile)

If you want to make more than 500 rwhp on fuel only, right now the only choice is twin turbos as far as I know... Hope that helps. Welcome to the Diesel Place!!

---Ben

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
There is alot of reading on here about transmissions, alot opinions, and alot of mudslinging. Once you sort through the good info and dispell the B.S. you should be able to make a confident decision. I have been doing alot of reading on it myself in the last two weeks. I origionally though that I wanted to go with brand X, but now I am thinking brand Y for example. It's a costly upgrade, talk to the guys that make a living installing them. All of the Vendors here are good guys to talk to and very helpful. Eric M, Mike L, Scott at Mass Diesel, and Kyle M, will answer your questions that you might have.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I live 30 miles north of what is left of New Orleans.

Closest and best place for you is Suncoast in Ft.Walton Beach, Florida about 3 and a half hours away.

You might as well go to the source and have Joe do it right for you.

Figure on at least a Stage 3 with a tripple lock converter.

But as long as I'm spending your money :D you might as well get the Level 4 with the Mcrat converter.

You'll be good to go at 500 hp with no problem's with that set up.

DD

See here :
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=new+orleans&1s=LA&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=ft+Walton+beach+&2s=FL&2z=

·
Registered
10,516 Posts

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Put it up against McRat and watch it get spanked by 478 hp.):h
#2 only or bottle fed?

Darn Yankee Dyno must have been wrong):h

Sure why not?

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Closest and best place for you is Suncoast in Ft.Walton Beach, Florida about 3 and a half hours away.

You might as well go to the source and have Joe do it right for you.

Figure on at least a Stage 3 with a tripple lock converter.

But as long as I'm spending your money :D you might as well get the Level 4 with the Mcrat converter.

You'll be good to go at 500 hp with no problem's with that set up.

DD

See here :
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=new+orleans&1s=LA&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=ft+Walton+beach+&2s=FL&2z=
could not agree more....suncoast all the way :exactly:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
...I origionally though that I wanted to go with brand X, but now I am thinking brand Y for example. ....
Oh come on. :wtf1: Do tell us what brand X and Y are and why your thinking switched.:wtf1:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Oh come on. :wtf1: Do tell us what brand X and Y are and why your thinking switched.:wtf1:
I'm still researching, (insert forest gump voice) and that's all I got to say about that. :lol:

I just used X and Y as an example, but if you want me to name them we'll call X Suncoast and Y ATS. Still not exactly sure what to do yet, but some things make alot of sence to me. After reading Mike L.'s findings in the 06 transmissions a light came on. Then talking to someone I won't mention from this site extensively, the dimmer switch got eliminated and I got all 150 watts of bulb burning now.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Ahh im not sure...never had it on the dyno...Probably around 430-440 rwhp. As far as stacking, the Edge does not help. So I pretty much run the PPE HOT alone, maybe the Edge on 1 or 2. I am going to switch over to the Van Aaken 180 box ASAP.

It all depends what TTS brings to the table when they come out with their next big thing in April.

---Ben
why does the edge not help any just asking because i see alot of people stacking with the edge and then you say it doesn't help could you give me a reason.
why are tou going to ditch the edge for the van Aaken 180 reason

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The edge doesnt stack well. In other words it doesnt play friendly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts