Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on here in a while as a result of not owning a diesel anymore, but I did a quick search and did not see this addressed. I still own a "new"(blue) V2 to tune my gas Denali as well as a few other trucks here and there and like to keep my software and firmware updated to the most current version available. I read a post from EFI Live that in light of the new EPA rules of no "off road only" tuning equipment, that newer updates for the US market would remove the ability to remove the ability to disable DPF, DOC, and EGR functionality. Does this mean that I should not update my V2 anymore if I would like to retain these features? Most of my customers/friend's vehicles that I tune want a tune solely for this reason and I would obviously like to keep this option, even if it means losing out on the ability to tune 2010+ Cummins. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Link to where you read this? EFILIVE's last statement on this matter said they are a company based out of New Zealand that deals internationally in many markets where such tuning is required to run on teh available fuel, and were leaving the burden with the end user to abide by the laws that apply to them for there area.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Read that article last night, pretty bummed. Good thing I have no DPF on my truck, but may have to finger stick the thing now because whoever is more worried about some diesel trucks than the other major problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
USA only eh, bet that includes us hosers too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
good old united states of Canada screwed by the amurican government again!

·
Resident Gynecologist....
4,267 Posts
so since I am in the UK, will efi live still offer me the full tune ability that they can't offer the US???

·
Registered
16 dually
1,511 Posts
Well booth when the time comes, ur gonna have to ship me the uk version.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
SO whats that going to mean for closed course racers who want to tune there competition vehicles?

This crap is getting out of hand. The EPA and its standards are doing nothing but making life more expensive for everyone. Its absurd. Let us keep our tuning devices and bring on the sniffer and smoke snap tests. That makes ALOT more sense then toppling entire companies product lines.

·
4,267 Posts
SO whats that going to mean for closed course racers who want to tune there competition vehicles?

This crap is getting out of hand. The EPA and its standards are doing nothing but making life more expensive for everyone. Its absurd. Let us keep our tuning devices and bring on the sniffer and smoke snap tests. That makes ALOT more sense then toppling entire companies product lines.
can't agree with you more. they want people to have cleaner vehicle but make them expensive. They want you to spend your hard earned money on hobbies but then strangle the suppliers with threats of court action and then the government moans when people don't want to do anything and the economy stagnates.

Craig, you know I can't do that as it would be against the law (cough)

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Good thing it's still "future" updates at this point.
Time to download the latest updates that are there now (V7.5.7 Build 211 & V8.2.1 Build 203), both of which are dated Jun 22, 2012

I also notice that the notice states "region specific restrictions will be implemented in future software releases" (as opposed to the Flashscan hardware itself).
Since software updates are freely downloadable, I wonder how they can know where the update is going to be used?
IPs can be spoofed, if it comes down to that. Or DPer's in other countries could "share" the updates.
Maybe this is a CYA move more than anything else, since obviously they intend to make the non-hobbled updates available to everyone outside the US.

Also, won't the existing software work with anything that EFILive will tune?
EFILive still doesn't support the newest Duramax LMLs anyway, right?
Since what's available now will work with anything that EFILive will tune, there's no real reason to have to update the software anyway, right?
Looks like updates are just minor bug fixes (of course if one of those bugs is a problem for you, then it does matter).

·
Registered
16 dually
1,511 Posts
Good thing it's still "future" updates at this point.
Time to download the latest update that's there now (V7.5.7 Build 211 & V8.2.1 Build 203), both of which are dated Jun 22, 2012

I also notice that the notice states "region specific restrictions will be implemented in future software releases" (as opposed to the Flashscan hardware itself.
Since software updates are freely downloadable, I wonder how they can know where the update is going to be used?
IPs can be spoofed, if it comes down to that. Or DPer's in other countries could "share" the updates.
Maybe this is a CYA move more than anything else, since obviously they intend to make the non-hobbled updates available to everyone outside the US.

Also, won't the existing software work with anything that EFILive will tune?
Looks like updates are just minor bug fixes (of course if one of those bugs is a problem for you, then it matters).
EFILive still doesn't support the newest Duramax LMLs anyway, right?
Since what's available now will work with anything that EFILive will tune, there's no real reason to have to update the software anyway, right?
im holding my breath. but im afraid i may suffocate. if we dont buy soon they may be updated for us.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It would be nice if they tell us which release will include the removal of these items. It'll be an extremely easy update on their part, lmm's for the most part.

The real pain in the arse comes when they finally feel like releasing something for the 09 and newer tcm and you get forced to deal with dpf in order to have tcm control!

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
That's sad that they even have to implement this. I'm glad I'll still be able to get my updates though here in Canada.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
It would be nice if they tell us which release will include the removal of these items. It'll be an extremely easy update on their part, lmm's for the most part.

The real pain in the arse comes when they finally feel like releasing something for the 09 and newer tcm and you get forced to deal with dpf in order to have tcm control!
Since the TCM is altogether seperate why would you have to deal with the DPF?

That's sad that they even have to implement this. I'm glad I'll still be able to get my updates though here in Canada.
How will they limit the availability of the downloads available for other countries? By IP address?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Since the TCM is altogether seperate why would you have to deal with the DPF?

How will they limit the availability of the downloads available for other countries? By IP address?

To ensure the software is not used in the USA you would think that it would be more effective to go after the VIN vehicle licence itself. VIN's have manufacture location coded within and north american vehicles also have a check digit in the 9th position. If EFI is getting leaned on by the EPA they need to display due diligence, making sure that there not breaking the law, checking the VIN code before uploading a emissions delete tune would be effective.

Just a thought

·
4,267 Posts
To ensure the software is not used in the USA you would think that it would be more effective to go after the VIN vehicle licence itself. VIN's have manufacture location coded within and north american vehicles also have a check digit in the 9th position. If EFI is getting leaned on by the EPA they need to display due diligence, making sure that there not breaking the law, checking the VIN code before uploading a emissions delete tune would be effective.

Just a thought
Wouldn't work because my american truck lives in the UK. Why Should i be restricted by EFI because the US EPA are a bunch of tossers.

I can't understand EFI-live being worried as they are based in new Zealand. All they are doing is offering you a product. What you do with it is totally upto you. The end user knows the " rules " so if they use a OFF road product ON the road, then the end user is liable, Not the supplier.

You could make the same arguement with guns/weapons. Let's outlaw guns/weapons because the minority mess it up for the majority. For every criminal use of a gun, there must be what 1000 or 10,000 law abiding gun owners.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The only reason that I would even consider updating my device now is for 2010+ Cummins and 09+ TCM support. But I will not risk losing existing features for this added capability. Would this also not put EFI Live in a bit of hot water from a consumer point of view? You sell a product to a customer that performs a desired function, then remove that function at a later point in time? Kinda sounds like the GM heated windshield washer fluid debacle. You sold the feature and now must compensate the consumer for removing that feature.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just read the efi Dec. newsletter.
I wonder what this means for vehicles already tuned.You have to update the software or it quits working after a while(mine does anyway).

I have no problem with them not supporting the newer model(10 and up)vehicles.They have to do what they need to do to stay legal.If your truck is already done and you update your software,then you can no longer make adjustments to it?What about the tunes you already have will they just not work anymore?This could be very expensive for guys who have gotten rid of thier factory equipment.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts