Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm excited and wanted to let y'all know that yesterday my truck ran with a borrowed pmd after being sitting for over 6 years, the starter was shot and it was barely cranking even with good batteries, so after some soldering we put it back on the truck and turned the key and before the mechanic could even spray some ether it started purring, we only let it run for about 15 secs cause its missing the belt tensioner. Im waiting for my new pmd with heatsink and the long harness i ordered off of ebay and friday im driving to texas to get the belt tensioner, new batts and a radiator cap cause it doesnt have one. hopefully by monday it will be up and running, just gotta fix some glitches like the fuel gauge which is way off the needle shows always full and when the key is turned it goes even further to the right, as well as the shift selector needle, when in park it the red needle shows neutral and when shifting it goes to park and what not..any ideas as to how to fix these issues?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
You are very lucky it started before it got ether shot in it . you would have a pile of worthless junk. Ether and glow plugs is a deadly combo. Congrats on getting it running.Check out the faq sticky.there is alot of info on these trucks in there. Did you get it started with old fuel? As far as the pmd and harness off of fleabay there has been numerous thread about problems with them.I would shy away from them. It is a general consenses on here that heath diesel's pmd and heat sink is best. It has a 7 year warrenty. By far the longest of anyone.
As far as your shift indecater,take the cover piece off below the steering col. On the right side of the col. there is a phillips screw attaching a metal clip that has a cable[very small] attached. the cable goes to the shift indicater. the screw may be loose or the cable is hung up on something. If it's hanging up you may have to lower the steering col. Remove the screw holding the cable and pull on it while watching the indicater. It is spring loaded to go to park.It pulls pretty easy so you should be able to feel if it's catching on something.
Your transmission should be a 4l80e electronic 4-speed overdrive.
The fuel gauge i'm not too shure about.
With only 125'000 miles there should be alot of life left in the engine if it was taken care of. I've seen some on here that are at 400,000 and still going.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Get rid of that can of ether... you will destroy your heads, pistons, connecting rods, ect.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yo Nico - Educate your mechanic! Ether is a 6.5 Killer! If anything use something like WD-40... Ether is too dry and burns way too fast for anything with glow plugs.
If he argues that ether is OK; Find a new mechanic.

·
Registered
420 Posts
x2 what he said :iamwithst

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shouldnt have said ether as the can can clearly says starter fluid with lubricant additives and a small percentage of ether, I just thought it was easier to just say it that way, my mechanic knows what he's doing he's been working on diesels before many of us were even born and he's owned gm diesels for many years. :bow:

the store i bought the pmd from had pretty good feedback on ebay and as much as I'd like to give heath my business I cannot justify spending that kind of money (as in i dont have that much money :p:) i bought it for slightly over half of heath's price and it put a big dent on my wallet.. are the dtech/dipaco pmds any good? I've read some threads about'em with mixed results.

thanks for the tip on fixing the shift indicator bk, gues my mechanic will have to sort the fuel gauge himself.

·
A Country Boy Can Survive...
Gone but not forgotten Member!
14,352 Posts
Yo Nico - Educate your mechanic! Ether is a 6.5 Killer! If anything use something like WD-40... Ether is too dry and burns way too fast for anything with glow plugs.
If he argues that ether is OK; Find a new mechanic.

X3. ether is for uneducated mechanics. ether will kill your diesel. i've seen it turn a perfectly running powerstroke(had a glow plug wiring issue) into an engine that wouldn't even start without the drugs(ether). plus you coudl tell the internals on that motor were trashed by the way it sounded when running at any speed.

:nono: :nono: Ether = BIG no-no on any glow plug equipped diesel engine. :nono: :nono:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
forgot to add that it started on a mix of old and new fuel. later today I'm gonna pressurize the fuel tank a bit to find leaks.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
The best advice I can give is if you are going to keep the truck for any amount of time, buy the gm factory service manual from helm publications. Just the wiring scmatics are worth the price. Also good troubleshooting and code info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cut me some slack y'all, I get it, Ether=bad juju
please read through, I corrected my wording it wasnt ether, it was starter fluid, heck the can even says it lubricates the heads but thanks for the input anyway I learnt my lesson: I have to be careful with how I say things :joke:

no ether will touch my sixfiver

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Starting fluid = Ether.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
the truck i bought was started with ether for about 3 months....no problems

Ive read about a guy using ether on a 6.2 for over 5 years with non working glow plugs. No problems

Its not the ether thats the problem......its the guy running the button.

Theres even places selling ether kits for the 6.2/6.5

You guys dont have to make it look so bad.....its not.

So.....unless you have done this, quit telling everyone how bad it is.....and tell them it can be bad.

We religiously used ether to start tractors all winter when i was younger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.