Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions. I'm driving up to Michigan for Christmas and this will be my first time up there with the Duramax. I know I'm going to need the winter front (when to put it on is going to be a challange).. I'm changing the oil tonight.. She has about 6,000 miles on her now. I'm going to take along a fuel filter.. Do I need addative? Anything you guys think I need to take just to be sure..? or should be aware off? I went up there two years ago in my gasser Ram and played in the snow.. :) snowed every day I was there..

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
I live here and I'm not running with the Winter Front in place. I did put the snaps in place under the hood to install my grill cover this fall. The bumper cover looks to be a PITA to put on. I am not running any kind of fuel additives. My neighbor who is an independent technicial and owns a BP/Amoco station where I've bought a lot of fuel, says that quality fuel doesn't need additional additives. He's running an International wrecker everyday, so I figure he ought to know. When he was a Total station and had a 6.5 TD in a GMC wrecker, he said the Total fuel was so dirty he had to change the filter every 5000 miles or the truck would not run. Then he became a Sunoco station and indicated the fuel was much cleaner. About 3 years ago he switched to Amoco and indicated the fuel appears cleaner yet.

It was really cold last Saturday night, down in the mid teens. I did notice that on the 8 mile run into town to pick up my daughter, that the truck was only about 2/3 of the way to normal operating temperature when I got there, although it was throwing heat fine in the cab. Plus those heated leather seats feel really good on a cold night.

When I got my truck in early March 2003, it was 4 degrees out the night I picked it up. As I indicated earlier, I've never used my winter front.

·
Registered
91 Posts
blowingsmoke

put on your winter front in TX while still warm for fitting purposes only, then take it off and take it along and use it if needed, once fitted initially it will go on a lot better at a later date especially if your fingers are real cold.

Buy your fuel up here at high usage pumps as they will have the blend needed in colder climates, stick with the dealers along interstates who move a lot of fuel.

You can added some Primrose FM or FPPF TP if you have some, for a safety factor, though you should be using it continously.

Winter can change up here in a matter of hours and late December is usually our coldest part of the year.

Have a safe trip and happy holidays

Sincerely Engineer Bill

·
Registered
157 Posts
I put my winter front on last night.(just the grill cover.) It's not that bad of a job.Just throw in some primrose or fppf just to be safe and come on up!! We don't have squat for snow right now though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I live in the Grand Rapids, MI area and have had the grill cover on since the high temps dropped into the low 30's. Even in the 40's my engine was not getting past 180 or so and the trans was staying around 100. With the grill cover on the engine is running 195 and the trans about 125, both good numbers for power/mileage and longevity. My fuel economy has come back up to warm weather range which is a nice surprise. I had to remove one day for a 50 degree heat wave, otherwise I've left it on and it works great.

I would use an additive, either FPPF or Rotella DFA, just to avoid any water and to make sure you don't have any gelling issues. Yesterday on my way home on US131 I spotted a straight truck moving slowly down the road on the shoulder. He was moving, but very slowly, and putting out a lot of smoke. The temps had dropped from the 40's the day before into the 20's, and I couldn't help but wonder if he was haviing a fuel problem.

If you really want snow, go right through the lower peninsula and head to the western UP, some areas up there have a foot or more. Loooong drive though!

·
Registered
65 Posts
blowingsmoke...If God had wanted us Texans to play in snow He'd have made b...s... white.
I hear Brownsville is nice this time of year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
blowingsmoke:

I live in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan & I use the grille cover when the temp drops below 30....it is real easy to put on. Someone in a previous reply advised you put it on once before your journey for "fitting purposes" ......GOOD ADVICE..... real easy to put on after it has has been put on once & that is a shi#ty lesson to learn when it is 30 degrees or lower.

I also use FPPF Total Power & always carry a bottle of FPPF Melt Down for emergency use in case of gelling. (hopefully I'll keep the same bottle for years)

Have a good trip and Happy Holiday

Swanny

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey - thanks for the replys guys.. - Where can I get some FPPF Total Power + Meltdown or Primrose..? I don't think they'll sell it local here in Texas..
jbh2000 - Sorry man.. I'm not from Texas :)

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine started just fine at the end of deer season in the U.P. of Michigan, the truck sat for A week in the cold and when I started it for the trip home it was 2 below zero, no problems at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts