Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 GMC Duramax Diesel 6.6 L, 7375 miles on oil, 9975 miles on unit. Second oil change, first done at 2600 miles. Baldwin Filter.
Sample Date 2/28/04

Aluminum 4
Chromium 1
Iron 12
Copper 22
Lead 7
Tin 7
Molybdenum 37
Nickle 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 33
Silicon 38
Sodium 2
Calcium 2547
Magnesium 479
Phosphorus 1095
Zinc 1214
Barium 1
Viscosity 71.8
Flashpoint 455
Fuel % <.5%
Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles .3

comments were to run a shorter OCI this time, to speed the break in and get abrasive wear materials out of the engine.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Is silicon 38 dirt?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but it is more than likely left over sand from the casting process. I have the stock air filter.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
ok who are all of you guys using for oil analysis. I'm nearing a 5000 mile changeout on my first run of the Schaeffers 15w40 syn blend. I've also got 22,500 on my 03 so I'd like to see what's going on internally. I just need to know where you've all been sending away for sample testing and bottles.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used Blackstone Laboratories:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Pick,

I used AV lubricants. Your Iron, Copper and Silicone look a little high, I'm just comparing to mine. I usually change at 4000 miles or so.

LA DMAX

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I second on AV Lubricants, Rick. Not only great service, but a personal follow-up email from George Morrison after the analysis!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
well then AV Lub here I come

·
Registered
841 Posts
Victory Red said:
well then AV Lub here I come

Rick, I use AV Lube also. In fact, I just sent a sample yesterday. You have 2 choices when you do a sample. WITH TBN and WITHOUT. TBN is an indicator of how much additive life you have left.

If you get your sample bottle but don't want to drain your oil pan yet, I have an oil thief from AVLube. You can draw a sample out of the dipstick tube and save the rest of the oil. See you Thursday, got the 3-prong 30amp/250's. SPICER

·
Registered
245 Posts
This AV Lube????

http://store.avlube.com/index.html

just want to make sure we're talking the same place.

I know a guy that used Blackstone with his Ferd and was happy doing business with them.

He said they sent him a free sample kit for the next oil change...

cmc

·
Registered
394 Posts
PC is certainly correct in that the dirt (silicon) levels are still high for the second oil change. First change out, yes, indeed.. In fact if you had checked the bottom of the drain pan on the first drain you would most likely have found casting sand!
However, the high dirt level does not directly correspond to wear metals either.. That high a dirt level would put bearing wear rates even higher. Please take care when capturing the sample: we always want to have the engine warm and then capture a mid-stream sample. We do not want the first or last oil out of the drain. Remove the plug and let a several quarts flow then stick the bottle into the stream. Keep the bottle top on the bottle until the last moment before capture. We are only getting a 4 ounce reference so even a speck of dirt can skew results..
George Morrison, AV Lubricants Inc.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
well I ordered it this morning. I have to say one thing, the generated response from AV has got to be one of the politest messages I've ever seen.

I'm almost due for the change(less than 300 miles to 5000) so it'll be a full change this time. I also spent the extra 2 bux and got the TBN as well. I'm curious to see what's going on inside and to see how well this syn blend has held up.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Victory Red, I'm interested in Schaeffers, and have been watching your oil related posts. Please let us know when you get your results.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Will do Roegs. It's been a mild to harsh winter weather wise so it's seen some extremes.

Once George notifies me of the results I'll be sure to share them all with everyone.

·
Registered
841 Posts
George, If you are still here, is it true that silicone such as in gasket maker and o-ring lube can cause an oil analysis to read as high silicon?

I heard this and thought it was a wives tale. SPICER

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
SPICER said:
George, If you are still here, is it true that silicone such as in gasket maker and o-ring lube can cause an oil analysis to read as high silicon?

I heard this and thought it was a wives tale. SPICER

This comes up time and again Spicer. SILICONE (rubber) will NOT skew the SILICON (sand) readings in an oil sample. There is, however, evidence that some GASKET material (not the rubber compound - but the gasket itself) contains SILICON fibers that can contribute to readings.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
CMC-GMC said:
This AV Lube????

That's the place! Been using them for 50,000 miles now - best I've found!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I took the sample, I was draining the oil outside, on the ground, and it is very sandy here in Florida. I was concerned about dirt being in the Fumoto valve, I swabbed it out with a Q-tip and ran 2 quarts through, before I took the sample. Engine was hot, just came back from 20 miles of freeway driving. But who knows, as George stated, "all it takes is a speck"

·
Registered
394 Posts
Another very useful tool to ensure a clean drain area is ether/engine starting fluid. It is a wonderful de-greaser/de-dirter. However, as always, use caution around open flames when using it.
Liberal use of ether will clean an area very, very well and minimize the contamination possiblities.
George Morrison

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I'd also suggest AV Lube for your Mobil Delvac needs!

George convinced me to switch to D1 several changes ago, and the combination of filtration (Uni foam, baldwin full flow, and KD bypass kit) along with superior oil quality has proven itself to me without a doubt!

We have a ferrographic history of this engine that shows even when run at high power levels, there is VERY little wear!

Those with new Dmax's, change the oil early and often to flush out the silicon present in a new engine...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts