Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the more I read the more confused I am. I unplugged my egr 2 days ago. I do have a FE9 code in my glove box so I am not getting a CEL. My question is, can I just leave it unplugged and not install a blocker plate or fingerstick. I know it probably set a code in the computer but other than that it runs great. Am I getting less engine soot? Is my turbo boost OK with it unplugged? I am happy with just unplugging it and nothing else but I need a little reasurance that it is not hurting anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Seems the more I read the more confused I am. I unplugged my egr 2 days ago. I do have a FE9 code in my glove box so I am not getting a CEL. My question is, can I just leave it unplugged and not install a blocker plate or fingerstick. I know it probably set a code in the computer but other than that it runs great. Am I getting less engine soot? Is my turbo boost OK with it unplugged? I am happy with just unplugging it and nothing else but I need a little reasurance that it is not hurting anything. Thanks.
Leave it and forget it, but plug it in if you go for service.

·
Registered
48 Posts
funny, I did the exact same thing 3 days ago. I will watch your thread because I would like to know also. I have a blocker plate on the way but it isn't here yet.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Without the plate it will still soot up the EGR some. Do a search there was a guy who pulled it off after 20k miles of no plate and it looked pretty gross

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
funny, I did the exact same thing 3 days ago. I will watch your thread because I would like to know also. I have a blocker plate on the way but it isn't here yet.
Even better. Put the plate in and forget it. I have run nearly two years like that, don't worry you are doing a good thing. :ro)

Take out the plate and plug in the EGR though if you are going in for service at the dealer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
if you have the plate installed, do you still need to or should you unplug the egr? not to beat this to death but i thought if you had the plate and the stick, you're good. should i unplug the egr also.:cool:

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
if you have the plate installed, do you still need to or should you unplug the egr? not to beat this to death but i thought if you had the plate and the stick, you're good. should i unplug the egr also.:cool:
I would unplug it, that way you are never caught with the computer waiting for the EGR to close before it brings in the turbo boost. There is a slight gain to be had in turbo spool up response with the EGR circuit out of the way. Even though you are plated and sticked, your EGR is cycling away thinking it is doing its job and the computer is watching it accordingly. Unplug it and after it fails its testing three times the computer will assume it is dead and will alter its turbo boost strategy.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
What a timely post. I was just thinking about unplugging my EGR for an upcoming trip that I am going to take. About 700 gooseneck pulling miles.

So, let me get this straight TX Christopher. I can unplug it, and won't thow a light because it is not a Cali emmisions truck, correct?

Is the EGR default closed, meaning if it is unplugged it will be closed?

You said that the computer will try to cycle the EGR 3 times and then change the turbo strategy. In what way will it change it? Good, or Bad.

Will the ECM set any hidden codes that will show up if the dealer scans it?

Does having the kitty killed, make any difference? Mine died many months ago.

Thanks for all your help. Sorry, for so many questions.

Next thing I want to do is the reroute of the PCV.
Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have fe9 truck also and unplugged egr with block plate.no CEl or soft codes in system.Turbo spools up appx 200 rpm quicker.From what I have read just unplugging it is not enough being some have experienced the exhaust gases pushing past closed egr valve.block plate is sure fix.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would unplug it, that way you are never caught with the computer waiting for the EGR to close before it brings in the turbo boost. There is a slight gain to be had in turbo spool up response with the EGR circuit out of the way. Even though you are plated and sticked, your EGR is cycling away thinking it is doing its job and the computer is watching it accordingly. Unplug it and after it fails its testing three times the computer will assume it is dead and will alter its turbo boost strategy.

thanks for clearing it up. will be unplugged shortly.):h

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info here. Another worn question I'm sure, Who sells the blocker plate and how much $. Is it hard to install? Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am still confused...WHY did GM install the egr to begin with? There must be a reason for them to spend the money to put it in, I realize the emision thing is a biggie but is there another purpose (i.e. allowing the excess boost to be released?) . With the egr blocked there is no place for the extra boost to go, could this hurt things??

Thanks

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
What a timely post. I was just thinking about unplugging my EGR for an upcoming trip that I am going to take. About 700 gooseneck pulling miles.

So, let me get this straight TX Christopher. I can unplug it, and won't thow a light because it is not a Cali emmisions truck, correct?

If it is not an emissions truck then you will never see a CEL

Is the EGR default closed, meaning if it is unplugged it will be closed?

Somewhat default yes, since it is positioned by pulse control and has a return spring, so with the key out of the truck it will be closed.

You said that the computer will try to cycle the EGR 3 times and then change the turbo strategy. In what way will it change it? Good, or Bad.

With it unplugged it will not function, and after three attempts the computer will mark it as broken. It will try the diagnostic at other times too, but of course it will always fail. The turbo strategy is affected because until the computer sees that the EGR is closed, it wont bring in the boost. With it unplugged it is always closed, so you are never caught waiting for it to close before spooling up. Its a small amount of time but with the lag we already have every little bit helps.

Will the ECM set any hidden codes that will show up if the dealer scans it?

If it is I am not aware of it nor have I ever seen any, and I have the ability to pull code history.

Does having the kitty killed, make any difference? Mine died many months ago.

Run away kitties tend to take some EGT and backpressure with them, always a good thing. They always seem to leave behind a little more noise though, which is good to some and bad to others, a matter of preference. :)

Thanks for all your help. Sorry, for so many questions.

Not a problem, the only bad question is one not asked, and you had a batch of good ones raring to go! Hope I have been helpful. :ro)

Next thing I want to do is the reroute of the PCV.

Yet another highly recommended thing to do.....:grd:

Thanks Guys.

:muahaha:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I unplugged mine yesterday. Imediately saw better milege (about 2 miles/g), and slightly better power. I too am wondering if I need to do anything else. I have a buddy that works for a GM dealership. I bought the Edge juice w/attitude from the dealership. He said just unplug the EGR while the truck was cold. Turn on the key, don't start. Turn it off and unplug. This ensures the valve is closed.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I am still confused...WHY did GM install the egr to begin with? There must be a reason for them to spend the money to put it in, I realize the emision thing is a biggie but is there another purpose (i.e. allowing the excess boost to be released?) . With the egr blocked there is no place for the extra boost to go, could this hurt things??

Thanks
The EGR is a strictly emissions compliance device, and our trucks control boost by moving the vanes of the turbo around. The only connection between EGR and boost is if the EGR is open, the computer waits for it to close before pouring on the boost.

EGR brings exhaust gases into the intake, not expell excess boost.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I have fe9 truck also and unplugged egr with block plate.no CEl or soft codes in system.Turbo spools up appx 200 rpm quicker.From what I have read just unplugging it is not enough being some have experienced the exhaust gases pushing past closed egr valve.block plate is sure fix.
You will need boost well above stock levels for drive pressures to force open the EGR, in excess of 30 psi, stock is about 20 psi.

The plate of course is insurance that all possible exhaust flow into the intake is blocked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ooops! didn't read the first sentence of thread this is on a fe9 truck. I live california and dont have fe9. I tried to unplug mine and on the second start I had a cel, guess i will plug it back in.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Ooops! didn't read the first sentence of thread this is on a fe9 truck. I live california and dont have fe9. I tried to unplug mine and on the second start I had a cel, guess i will plug it back in.
The DP is such a good resource. There are ways for even you California guys to join in on the fun. Again www.KennedyDiesel.com to the rescue, he can set you up with at least two ways around this problem, one developed by Fingers and one that John Kennedy had a tuner slip in for him.

:ro)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Without the plate it will still soot up the EGR some. Do a search there was a guy who pulled it off after 20k miles of no plate and it looked pretty gross
:exactly: Better to put the blocker plate in and avoid sooting up the EGR which can lead to failure of the valve. Do you have 4" exhaust. If so, FS might be best. You can get the FS and blocker plate from kennedydiesel.com.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts