Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a CD player off of ebay for my van, which has the 2-din AM/FM stereo with no cassette or CD.

Before doing this I took the one out of my truck and put it in the van to see if it would fit properly and if the wire harness was the same, it is. It wouldn't work but the clock would come on when I pressed the tune button. Good. I put it back in my truck and put the stock one back in the van. No problems.

Now I bought this one off of ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2461041982

I took it to the dealership yesterday and the guy told me it had to be in the vehicle it came OUT OF to remove the theftlock. This doesn't make sense to me, shouldn't it be in the one that it's going into? The other guy in the service department that I spoke to over the phone just told me to install it in the van and bring it in, and they SHOULD be able to unlock it for use in the van.

My other concern is that I was informed it may be VIN-locked. Is there any way to find out before I take it to the dealer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
To get that radio from EBay unlocked you need to perform a VIN relearn with the Tech2. What do you want to put it in?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a '02 GMC Savana G3500 to put it in.

Thanks for the info GMCSID. I take it the radio needs to be installed in the van while this is done?

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I don't think that new style radio will work in your 02 Savana. I am pretty sure you need to find the older style radio.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a new stereo for my 2004 and my girlfriend has a 2003 yukon w/o the 6 disc changer. I was going to give her my old radio w/changer, but the manual said it is vin locked. What steps should I take to get it to work in her yukon?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts