Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my intake tube after 7k miles of running the uni. It is/was installed correctly. It is oiled properly. The tube was clean before the install. I will go to Napa sunday and buy the stock paper unit. What a piece of crap this filter is. Those are my finger marks in the heavy dust and sand in the tube. And yes you can see plenty of sun light (small holes) when held up to the sun. Here is shot 2 with the sun shining through a small 2 inch section.

Edited by: problemchild

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Have you talked to John Kennedy about this problem? Edited by: afp1

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent an email to uni and linked this post. Lets see what they say. I cant remember who I bought it from. I rember buying oil or additices at the same time. I WILL ask for my money back!

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Looks the same way as my K&N! Although I believe my pinholes were created from me cleaning the filter. Never the less, if you can not clean them then what good are they? My original paper is already back in untill I find a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
611 Posts
This is why I still have a stock intake

What we need is a disposable paper cone with a sock over it Edited by: DIESEL 5

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
How about a replacement air-box that uses high quality Donaldson paper elements? I've seen one that works pretty good...

Ox

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I have also emailed AFE to see if they offer there progaurd 7 in an OEM configuration. Blue Ox are you talking about that big blue vacum cleaner or something else?

·
Registered
611 Posts

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
BlueOx03 said:
How about a replacement air-box that uses high quality Donaldson paper elements? I've seen one that works pretty good...

Ox

Are you referring to a stock looking black airbox that takes a better paper filter or are you talking about the blue metal thingy with the spiny filter? I viewed pictures quite some time ago and do not remeber the name or who was talking about it. It reminded me of one of those metal electronics style vacum cleaners?

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Uhhh...huh...yeah...I was talking about the UMP super filter air-box. The blue metal thingy is actually silver/gray. The spiny filter has viens on it to turn out the larger particals, kinda like a pre-filter, and spead the air over the whole element. I've never seen a vacuum that looked like it, anything is possible...

Ox

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
No Flames! I use to be in the electronics industry and it was quite common to see vacum cleaners that were about as round as a coffe can and 1 to 2 feet long. They hold very high effeciancy filters and are very quiet. Some sling over your shoulder on your back. I am glad you told me the name of the air filter you are referring to. That is the one I remeber. A little to rich for my blood. I would be interested in a high quality paper element for the stock box.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Problemchild,

I'm quite surprised to see your pictures for a couple reasons.

first, i've had mine in since i started selling them and put about 12k on mine so far. my intake is perfectly clean, which includes a few trips to the desert and sand dunes. I actually just went out a looked at it after reading this post, and its so clean i can't leave a mark inside the tube with a clean paper towel.

second, i ride dirt bikes and quads. i originally ran k&n until i noticed dust (like your picture) inside the intakes of my riding machines. this was most prevalent when riding during the very hot and dry summer months of CA when trails are so dusty you have to space out 60 seconds or so from the person behind you to see where you're going. After noticing how poor of a job my k&n's were doing i switched to UNI's across the board and i've never seen any dirt in the intake's since. my only exception when when i crashed my quad so bad the filter fell off and bounced around inside the airbox.

are you sure your UNI isn't damaged in any way? are the clamps tight? Please understand i'm not doubting you in any way... i just find it odd how my bikes (and my dmax in this case) stay so clean and yours didn't.. especially when my bikes see more dust than our dmax's ever will...

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diesel Power

I have been riding dirt bikes and working on cars since I was a kid. Foam elements are NOT new to me. I have 30+ years expierence with them. Im pretty sure (like 100%) that I didnt make any kind of mistake.

Are you sure you have the same uni element I have. Maybe they make different grades. Maybe they started making them cheaper in Taiwan or something.

Do me a favor.......

Take your out tomorrow during the day and hold it up to the sun. I can see thousands of tiny light holes popping through, can you?

My opinion still stands, this product is crap!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

Have you cleaned the UNI since installed ??

I'm thinking that perhaps being over oiled either by manufacture or end user given the high demand of air volume the Duramax uses that it has sucked some of the excessive oil into the beginning of the snorkel ....

People have complained of dirty Mass Air sensor by way of oil contamination .... With the excessive oil from the filter, dirt can acompany and I'm sure it does ....

I've heard of Amsoil Stage II doing the same thing ....

Blot blot blot your filter prior to use ....

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
93 Posts
Guys! I'm just a newbie lurker, but before blaming the product, consider the source of the complaint. After reading posts here for a couple of months, I think that the air filter was the only piece on his truck that wasn't "defective".

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Bronco said:
No Flames! I use to be in the electronics industry and it was quite common to see vacum cleaners that were about as round as a coffe can and 1 to 2 feet long. They hold very high effeciancy filters and are very quiet. Some sling over your shoulderÊon your back. I am glad you told me the name of the air filter you are referring to. That is the one I remeber. A little to rich for my blood. I would be interested in a high quality paper element for the stock box.

Okay, now I got it, I just didn't know were you were going with that. The super filter is pricey, but well worth it IMO. Even the preproduction model I have for testing is of very high quality. I figure the production model will be even better. I'm surprised that there isn't a high quality paper OEM replacement too. I'd still rather have my big gray vacuum cleaner though

Happy motoring,
Ox

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Dunno how a guy could see light thru the foam
unless it was washed with acid or a nasty solvent...

I will say this, when a gauze filter mfr comes out with a major revamp of extra ply for diesel better filtration performance, what does that say about the original that was supposed to be so great???

IMHO Gauze filters are like TP, 1 ply, 2 ply, or quilted, they are still just like a**wipe...

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Rolln' thunder-

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Dad, not screaming in terror like his passenger."

Dude that's funny!!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOOK

I have been using foam filters since I was a kid. Dirt bikes, dune buggies etc. I know how they work. I know how to use them properly.

I cant EVER remember being able to see light pin holes through ANY of them. If I did it meant they were worn out.

This UNI is brand new out of the box and the first thing I did was hold it to the sun. What do I see? Thousands of little light holes.

So I stand by the first post. This product is crap. It is the 2 stage UNI foam filter red/black for the Dmax. Thats what I bought from 1 of the vendors here. Thats what Im going to return to 1 of the vendors here.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts