Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many out there are unhappy with their 06? My 05 lly had more power and alot better mpg 19 compared to 14.5 in my lbz-:t . only 1800 miles and been in the shop 4 times for all these codes. that they say are my fault for pluggin it in and running the winter cover! Funny thought they extended my warranty to 5 years and 75000 miles for it being my fault. where do you guys and gals get all these upgrades no one around me talk about anything but, edge and bd stuff like that. what is this finger stick? Hopefully this pulls out and turns into a good truck but right now I have my doughts!:mad:

·
Registered
120 Posts
My 06 lly will get 21.5 on highway with the power pup driving 68 mph. That is with 35's also. I get 15 around town. I noticed it starting to get better after 10000 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im getting 19.1 highway speed driving 60 to 70 using the bully dog
set at tow econo mode and thats with 285-75-16 bfg allterain.

fd1627
2006 lbz crew cab 2x2

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
How cold is it where you live? If it is not below zero, do NOT plug it in.
The system checks cooland temp, incoming air temp, and fuel temp. Below 0, the system recognizes that it may be plugged in and "ignores" the unexpected differences in temps, but when it's too warm, it will throw codes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Happy with mine. On second thought, I am thrilled. I like it better than my LLY. The mileage isn't there yet, but I think it will come. With regard to mileage...cold weather running, short trips, stop and go, and driving like my wife, will kill mileage. My wife is constantly accelerating and coasting, accelerating, coasting, etc. A steady foot will get better mileage.

I went back through my LLY maintenance log. Interesting, at 28,000 miles I was getting 18.7 mpg empty (hand calc). I installed an Access Loredo tonneau cover and my mileage jumped to over 20 for the same commuting miles to/from work. I have yet to put a cover on my new one. Keep in mind I drive all flat land, 2 miles to get on the X-way, 36 miles steady cruising to work, and 150 feet off the exit I am there. I do some misc stop and go, too. My mileage is about as pure highway as you can get. And the wife don't drive this truck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I get about 16 around town 18 hwy and about 15 towing my fifth wheel so Right now I am not complaining the ferds are probably geeting 10-12 is what I hear without towing anything.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Owners manual is a wonderful thing

From your owners manual
Engine Coolant Heater

In very cold weather, 0°F (-18°C) or colder, the engine coolant heater can help. You'll get easier starting and better fuel economy during engine warm-up. Usually, the coolant heater should be plugged in a minimum of four hours prior to starting your vehicle.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=837332&evc=sm&pubid=1275&cellId=73741&mspsdsubkey=4974#ss1-837332">To Use the Engine Coolant Heater

1. <LI type=1>Turn off the engine. <LI type=1>Open the hood and unwrap the electrical cord. The cord is located in the engine compartment, on the passenger's side of the vehicle, near the right side engine mount. <LI type=1>Plug it into a normal, grounded 110-volt AC outlet. Caution: Plugging the cord into an ungrounded outlet could cause an electrical shock. Also, the wrong kind of extension cord could overheat and cause a fire. You could be seriously injured. Plug the cord into a properly grounded three-prong 110-volt AC outlet. If the cord will not reach, use a heavy-duty three-prong extension cord rated for at least 15 amps.
  2. Before starting the engine, be sure to unplug and store the cord as it was before to keep it away from moving engine parts. If you don't, it could be damaged.
How long should you keep the coolant heater plugged in? The answer depends on the outside temperature. You may wish to use your coolant heater to improve ease of starting at temperatures between 0°F (-18°C) and -20°F (-29°C). Keep the coolant heater plugged in for a minimum of four hours. At temperatures below -20°F (-29°C), the coolant heater should remain plugged in for at least eight hours. It will not harm either the coolant heater or the vehicle to leave the coolant heater plugged in longer than the times stated. Be sure to remove and store the cord before starting the engine. See Diesel Fuel Requirements and Fuel System for information on what fuel to use in cold weather.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm getting 16 in town and ?? on the open roads - most of my driving is in town - short trips - West Central Florida. Got 2,200 miles, 285's.

I'm very happy with my LBZ!

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Dyno's have shown the LBZ has far more power than any stock 05 could dream of making, dunno how you can say your 05 had more power. Memories often beat reality, if you were able to jump in your old 05 and take a spin you might think it was a REAL dog now........

·
Registered
298 Posts
It feels like to me that the LBZ has a diiferent kind of power band then the 05's. I'm not sure what exactly I am talking about, but the engine seems to be a whole different animal to me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
How many out there are unhappy with their 06?
I Looooooovvvvvveee my LBZ. I have just over 3200 Miles on it. Made two round-trips to SoCal. "Testing" the mileage. 294-Miles each way, no-stops... 75-MPH (on Cruise) 18.6 MPG; 70-MPH (on Cruise) 20.5 MPG; 65-MPH (on Cruise) 21.4 MPG. Around town, "Average" 15.6...(All Hand-Calculated) Nothing but "Stock" (It's a 2500 2WD, no Bed-Cover, factory wheels and tires)

:exactly:

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
My truck has been in the shop more often and for worse, with worse milage yet i love my LBZ... Try getting less than 13 mpg (inlcluding over 60% highway travel... however thats maxing it at speedcontrol):h ) My bed split apart in the rear, my seat heaters don't work, my truck came with the wrong electrical harness, severe ABS confusion, and now i have steering problems... You kno why i love my truck...? I have a 05 FORD PS.... yea... just imagine.

:rant: Don't be so disrespectful.. you've meerely had any problems. Look around the forum and you will find people with much worse problems with an additude 100 times better. Don't like ur truck... get something else, don't badmouth a good motor.:ro)

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
One thing to keep in mind on milage......If you run an aftermarket program or run different size tires your DIC will be off. You have to do it by hand and you have to account for difference in your odometer reading now.

Sounds like you may have gotten a bad truck? Dont fault the truck though if the dealership mechanic cant fix it. Give credit were credit is due.....if its a problem of not being able to fix your truck you have a bad tech......if it keeps breaking unrelated stuff and the tech fixes what breaks right the first time and quickly then its the truck and be nice to your tech:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Give credit were credit is due.....if its a problem of not being able to fix your truck you have a bad tech......if it keeps breaking unrelated stuff and the tech fixes what breaks right the first time and quickly then its the truck and be nice to your tech:)
I checked, here in "Vegas"... There are 2 Chevy Dealers and 4 GMC Dealers... One Chevy Dealer and Two GMC Dealers have "Diesel" Techs... The "Others" don't.

So... what if I take my truck to a dealer that doesn't have a "Diesel Tech"? You won't believe the answer(s) I got...

I (now) ask, and take my truck to the dealer with a "Diesel" Tech that's worked on the Duramax (s)... :exactly:

You might consider "Asking" if they have a Diesel-Tech...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First of all I would like to say I'm not trying to give the trucka bad WRAP! Believe me when I say it was hard for me to give up my PSD for a CHEVY but since I work for GM I felt it the right thing to do. I just think that there is something wrong with mine and that I should have more power and better MPG'S. Have had two diesel techs work on it but very little luck out of either one! All I have done to it is 265 tires, AFE filter, and straight piped it all from the advise from my tech. Just hope when EDGE gets their box out everything will be better! keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't have any advise to offer with the codes popping up, but I have noticed (as have others) that very cold weather combined with short trips will kill mpg. Overall, my 06 LLY is getting 15 mpg City (+ or -), and was getting around 18 mpg Hwy (but I think that will improve as the truck breaks in, and I say goodbye to winter fuel).

Except for the dealer screwing up with my front license plate bracket (I've got a post on that debacle), and the spray nozzle on my driver's side windshield freezing up (I blame mother nature, and it fixed itself), I have had ZERO problems with the truck.

I suspect your luck with the truck will improve, so keep yer fingers crossed!

JAFO

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Dyno's have shown the LBZ has far more power than any stock 05 could dream of making, dunno how you can say your 05 had more power. Memories often beat reality, if you were able to jump in your old 05 and take a spin you might think it was a REAL dog now........

you always think your old truck is better when you get something new and it is not doing or getting what you expected it to do so you are like my old truck was better it had more power and got better MPG

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Also if the truck is allowed to sit and warm up, kills the mpg. When I let mine run 10-15 min in the morning, everyday for a week, I lost 2.3 mpg overall on that tank of fuel. So I went from an average of 15.5 around town down to 13.2

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
What he said......right now I have an average of 10MPG via the DIC.....add about 1 MPG for the difference in tire size and its still crappy.

Truck has tons of power for stock and while I wasnt really all that impressed stock with the LB7 the LBZ actually impresses me with the power. It wont take much more to make me happy daily driving(and this is coming from a guy who's LB7 put down 500 to the rears without N2O) I mean the LBZ isnt nuts stock or anything but its nice and zippy for stock.

Sounds like you have some issues no one is able to figure out. Go drive another LBZ and see how it feels compared to yours.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts