Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the under seat storage for the back seat on a crew cab? The down side is you need to lift the seat up to get to the storage. If you have stuff on the seat you need to remove it first?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the one for the extended cab, not sure if they function the same or not. I really like it, but yes I do have to move stuff off of the seat to lift the seat and open the box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the storage box for my extended cab and really like it. It helps to keep things from rolling around the truck and does offer some secuity since I'm sure not everyone knows about it :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just bought a fairly flat rubbermaid container from Walmart. The only downside is it does slide out from under the seat sometimes but I also haven't looked into securing it in place at all. I'm sure there's a way to but since I sometimes need all my floor space in the back part of the cab I like being able to move the container around as needed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Idea - I use mine for work and have blueprints on the seat most of the time, I was thinking of making one out of hardboard and line-x it and put it on full extension bottom mount drawer guides but a cheap plastic box may work just as good.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Made one for me out of wood and auto carpet. Works real well.

·
Registered
2012 GMC HD2500 Duramax 4WD
162 Posts
Kenafin 02TA, pick up some velcro tape w/ the adhesive on one side. Stick it to the bottom of your box; will keep it in place and can be moved when needed-
Shep

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
The "Old EC" tool box will not fit the CC's.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I build mine the Line-X'ed it.

082207 011.jpg

082207 013.jpg

·
Registered
681 Posts
Went the rubber-maid route too but bought ones that were a little too tall, then cut them down to size to match the seat bottom shape. Having the top of the container rubbing on the bottom of the seat keeps them from sliding around much.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mdjr - Thats it, good job, did you use 1/2" mdf? I was thinking of splitting it in half and allowing it to slide out toward the door by putting a full extension drawer slide on it to access it with out lifting up the seat. Do you think that would work?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just bought a fairly flat rubbermaid container from Walmart. The only downside is it does slide out from under the seat sometimes but I also haven't looked into securing it in place at all. I'm sure there's a way to but since I sometimes need all my floor space in the back part of the cab I like being able to move the container around as needed.
If you use the same flat container I use, get some self drilling tech screws, 8's werk great, screw then through the bottom 4 corners, they will stick to the carpet and not slide.

:D

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
yea du-ha make some nice stuff and they fit really well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
mdjr - Thats it, good job, did you use 1/2" mdf? I was thinking of splitting it in half and allowing it to slide out toward the door by putting a full extension drawer slide on it to access it with out lifting up the seat. Do you think that would work?

I like the idea of slide outs:mad: wish I thought of that. I think it could work! Or you could slide it forward.
I built it out of a/c plywood. Simply screwed it and glued it. Hit all the sharp edges with a 1/4" round over and had it Line-X'ed when I had my bed done.
I have been a carpenter / builder all my life so I have one big advantage,,,I HAVE TOOLS ):h.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Schwein.., Like I said works great for me, hope you like it as well. Mdjr, I am not near as handy as you, your container looks real good:). However one does it, it is great to have all that added secure storage inside the truck. One of the best mods for the money imho.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all of the help. I think Im going the make my own slide out version of mdjr rig maybe just a tad bit larger to extend to the door jam.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for all of the help. I think Im going the make my own slide out version of mdjr rig maybe just a tad bit larger to extend to the door jam.
gwnkids, you could extend past the seat to the jamb and have an additional map type pocket if you can fit your hand between the seat and the door. And if you finish it with a good paint job or Line X it would look good too. Good luck.

Lots of good ideas here! I might have to build another one :D.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts