·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes, you have to read the fine print, where it says "properly equipped."

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so my duramax can only safely pull 7500? Or can I just remove my factory hitch and install one with a higher rating?
I was under the impression the duramax could pull around 11 or 12K off the hitch, and 13 something with a 5th wheel.

·
Registered
419 Posts
IIRC that # is for weight carrying. No weight distribution hitch. I believe it is 12000# for weight distribution. Jerry.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The 7500# is for non weight distribution hitches. As Jerry stated with the weight distribution it is 12,000#. You can get a better hitch like the Putnam XDR I think that it is rated higher.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
You should replace it if you are going to pull anything heavy--They light duty, will break, bend, and have some poor welds. I bought a Putnam XDR from Performance Center for $115-- it was drop shipped from the company in Michigan in 5 days. Total was $135 including tax, and well worth it for piece of mind. Much heaver and a direct bolt-on except for the bracket that holds the trailer connector. :):):)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Take the old part that holds the wiring connection off the old hitch and have it welded to the new one and you are good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts