Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can soeone explain why fuel milage will drop with the use of ULSD and put an amount to the drop?

I have heard that fuel economy has drop because of it use. As it hit me with winter temps I assumed the drop I have seen to longer transmission warm up times and lower BTU of the winter blend diesel.

I under stand the reduced lubricity but that should be compensated for by my additive.

s the ULSD a real issue with fuel economy?

·
Registered
269 Posts
i have notice a difference in it. i have also noticed the same things you have. the truck starts a lil harder in the cold. and the milage sucks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
ULSD Mileage

Haven't noticed any difference in my milage and since the new fuel I've been using Mystery Marvel Oil for added lubricitity. Have used it for years in my boat motors, small engines and gasser cars/trucks. A diesel mechanic recently told me MMO will leave excesss ash in my engine but he doesn't have any reference to support his statement. I'm getting 14.3 -15 mpg mixed driving.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have used ULSD 75% of the time since getting my truck 7 months ago. I see no difference in mileage. I track my mileage every tank. I average 17-18.5

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
USLD sux, my MPG's have dropped 1 or 2 , you can thank the tree huggers for this slop:p:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Try a dose on Stanadyne and see how big a difference it makes. I am pretty suprised compared to my last tank of howes additive and PS additive. I will run stanadyne from now on. It has been in the mid to low -20 here and haven't had a problem with my stanadyne and straight #2 (from the truck stop).

·
Registered
252 Posts
I lost almost 3mpg when switching over from LSD to ULSD fuel. I do not like or trust the new ULSD fuel. Started running the GM Diesel fuel conditioner and my fuel mileage came back.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I've noticed a drop as well, but also went to winter fuel. My last tank came in at 14.68 but it's been freaking cold here and I've idled a lot for warm up time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently made a highway trip and found a station that still had the good stuff. I got 20.5 mpg (all highway). On my way home, on the same road, using ULSD, I got 18.2 mpg (again all highway at the same speed). Wind did not seem to be a factor, but that is quite a bit of difference.

What is interesting, city / highway mix driving (normal drive to work), I am getting about the same. Go figure???

·
Registered
535 Posts
"Why does mileage drop with ULSD?"
We see lower mileage because there is less energy in the ULSD fuel than LSD. The chemical process used to strip out the sulpher will also remove energy-producing components. Burning the new fuel produces less heat.

I have noticed a 1-2 MPG drop in economy with the new fuel.
This is a ~6% drop in economy, and it is due entirely to the new wonder-fuel! :mad:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wasn't the purpose of the new fuel to reduce polutants? If so, it seems that it is not working well since more fuel is required to go the same distants. This might be an incorrect assumptions, but it seems logical that if more fuel is consumed, more polution.

·
Registered
514 Posts
timzr02;1581352; said:
i have used ulsd 75% of the time since getting my truck 7 months ago. I see no difference in mileage. I track my mileage every tank. I average 17-18.5
x2

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Saw no difference with the change here. If anything, I am getting better economy than I did in similar weather last year.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
srode;1584377; said:
Saw no difference with the change here. If anything, I am getting better economy than I did in similar weather last year.
Your the only one I heard that from:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I have noticed a loss of around 2 mpg since I switched to the ULSD fuel. I have used Stanadyne Performance Formula since the day I picked up the truck new. I've also noticed that this winter it takes more crancking to start when it's really cold even though last years was a lot colder.

Last winter I had the factory fill 15W-40 oil & LSD fuel and it started much better than it does now with ULSD and 5W-40 synthetic oil. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe that there are fewer BTUs in ULSD than LSD. The lower the BTUs the less power produced , more throttle needed to get the same power.:mad:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tell me how this makes sense. ULSD gives you less mileage and less smog and less power. Then we add additives to the ULSD to make it protect our engines and give us our power back which ups the smog. How does this make sense?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
How do you expect anything mandated by a government agency under pressure by Treehuggers to make sense?

·
Registered
63 Posts
boondokr;1587273; said:
How do you expect anything mandated by a government agency under pressure by Treehuggers to make sense?
:exactly:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts