Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my oil and found some small bits in the bottom of the oil drain pan. The larger piece is barely magnetic, the other pieces donot seem to be so. How f'ed am I?

'06 stock truck with only 77K miles on it. Last oil change was 1 year and 2k miles ago.

Truck is primariy used to tow a toy hauler and last time I went to tow, I had to stop just a few miles down the road to make sure I was properly connected. When I got out I noticed a strong exhaust smell and a bit of white smoke. Smoke went away and exhaust looks normal in neutral. I don't see any smoke when not towing.

Other than that, no noticable issues other than I have poor MPG. 12-13 around town if I baby it... really, like old lady style of driving.

Any thoughts?

Coin Amber Artifact Money handling Money

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
Just changed my oil and found some small bits in the bottom of the oil drain pan. The larger piece is barely magnetic, the other pieces donot seem to be so. How f'ed am I?

'06 stock truck with only 77K miles on it. Last oil change was 1 year and 2k miles ago.

Truck is primariy used to tow a toy hauler and last time I went to tow, I had to stop just a few miles down the road to make sure I was properly connected. When I got out I noticed a strong exhaust smell and a bit of white smoke. Smoke went away and exhaust looks normal in neutral. I don't see any smoke when not towing.

Other than that, no noticable issues other than I have poor MPG. 12-13 around town if I baby it... really, like old lady style of driving.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 642390
That looks like silica ( sand) particles

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like silica ( sand) particles
[

It certainly does. Especially zoomed in and under the camera's flash. Going to send off an oil sample to a lab. And also cut open and inspect filter.

There was about two to three times that amount in the oil drain pan. In the pic is the largest piece most of the rest was small pieces like what was shown.

I bet there is more bits in the oil pan. I have a fumato drain valve installed and I imagine there might be some larger pieces in the drain pan that couldnt get past the fumato's small diameter opening.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
It certainly does. Especially zoomed in and under the camera's flash. Going to send off an oil sample to a lab. And also cut open and inspect filter.

There was about two to three times that amount in the oil drain pan. In the pic is the largest piece most of the rest was small pieces like what was shown.

I bet there is more bits in the oil pan. I have a fumato drain valve installed and I imagine there might be some larger pieces in the drain pan that couldnt get past the fumato's small diameter opening.
Makes me think of kids playing nearby and curiosity leads them to put handfuls of dirt in the oil fill when you're not looking..
Kids/grandkids playing near the truck during the last oil change?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kids/grandkids playing near the truck during the last oil change?
No kids. The truck is kept in the garage and for the most part, is never really left unattended.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
What about sand castings breaking loose?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I opened the oil filter today and did not find anything abnormal. Sending an oil sample to Blackstone tomorrow for analysis. Crossing fingers

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,628 Posts
At this point if I owned it I’d pour a gallon of diesel fuel down through the oil filler tube to flush out the pan and replenish with new oil and filter and keep using it.It could operate fine for the next few years with no issues.You may never have an issue with it.

I agree it would be nice to find out where it came from but unless it’s knocking it’s brains out I’d keep on driving it.

The particles you found wouldn’t be left over sediment that might’ve been in the catch pan before you drained off the oil by any chance would it?Maybe the sediment was already there.

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
oil analysis came back excellent. I'm going to pretend I didnt see anything after changing the oil..... I'll drain it again in a few months and make sure I start with a clean drain pan.

That's some good news. Thanks for the update!
(y)

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Ya think it's just some RTV? I can see it getting magnetized by the metal wear in the oil.

I recently came across some snot looking stuff in my Tacoma's Asian coolant. Thought wtf. Turns out it's completely normal and was even in brand new jugs. Something settling out of cold coolant. Thought here is "nothing to worry about".

Awesome about your oil analysis. (y)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sometimes sand doesn't get completely knocked out of the heads in the Manufacturing process, that is, if that head was even cast with sand cores. Sometimes lost foam is used.

That sand is coarse like a waterjacket sand, not fine like an intake or exhaust sand, so it wouldn't be from the sand casting process imo.

That's certainly weird.

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,031 Posts
It's casting silica. Odd that it finally fell out, but you've got a what, 18yo hanger queen with 77k on it? So it's not like it's had a lot of chances to get out, and when it does you're "slabbin' it" on pavement towing a trailer. Probably just hasn't had the chance to shake loose. And yes, it's got some coarseness to it as @Diesel Newby said. That may be why it stuck around so long in the first place.

You may and probably do have more in the pan. You can ignore it. It's too dense to stay in suspension, and even if it weren't your oil filter would catch it. If it's really bothering you, remove the Fumoto and flush it out. But unless you're going to find a way to drive upside down, it'll never leave the pan if it hasn't already. Does make me curious about what you'll find in the oil filter...

If you do decide to flush it and use diesel through the oil-fill tube, I suggest you get a wine cork or something to plug the drain hole with that you can just yank out. In my experience (lost something in the front diff once during servicing and had to get it out the hard way) particulate moves better under a torrent, not a trickle. So I'd plug the hole, add enough diesel or kerosene to fill the pan 3/4 full, and then yank the plug so it can whoosh out.

I've been doing the extended drain and lab testing of my oil since 2007, and on 2 separate trucks. Every lab report I have shows 'high silica, probably due to the casting process' at one point or another. It's common with these blocks.

As for the poor mileage in town, that's typical. Don't forget 'city' driving is subjective. I see AZ in your sig. So you're always running the air conditioning I'd bed. And if you're in serious stop and go traffic all the time like 'downtown' is in most places, there's a lot of sitting, and a lot of getting 7k pounds up to 45 only to stop it 100 yards further. I averaged 13.5 when I was in that kind of city environment. Now that I'm more in the 'burbs, I get 15. What do you get on the interstate when your empty, and at what speed? (4wd?)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'll drain it again in a few months and make sure I start with a clean drain pan.
On these trucks this is really impossible....unless you can find a way to remove the 2/3 qt of used motor oil that sits below the drain on the OEM oil pan. I just replaced mine with a PPE pan I found a good price on and I have not seen oil that looks like this since the second oil change I did 15 years ago. My oil is not jet black anymore after changing the oil. It remains honey colored still, oil change was done July 7. Amazing.

Good to hear about your UOA, stay up on the maintenance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts