Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my oil and found some small bits in the bottom of the oil drain pan. The larger piece is barely magnetic, the other pieces donot seem to be so. How f'ed am I?

'06 stock truck with only 77K miles on it. Last oil change was 1 year and 2k miles ago.

Truck is primariy used to tow a toy hauler and last time I went to tow, I had to stop just a few miles down the road to make sure I was properly connected. When I got out I noticed a strong exhaust smell and a bit of white smoke. Smoke went away and exhaust looks normal in neutral. I don't see any smoke when not towing.

Other than that, no noticable issues other than I have poor MPG. 12-13 around town if I baby it... really, like old lady style of driving.

Any thoughts?

photo5512729376869951414.jpg

·
Administrator
18,674 Posts
Just changed my oil and found some small bits in the bottom of the oil drain pan. The larger piece is barely magnetic, the other pieces donot seem to be so. How f'ed am I?

'06 stock truck with only 77K miles on it. Last oil change was 1 year and 2k miles ago.

Truck is primariy used to tow a toy hauler and last time I went to tow, I had to stop just a few miles down the road to make sure I was properly connected. When I got out I noticed a strong exhaust smell and a bit of white smoke. Smoke went away and exhaust looks normal in neutral. I don't see any smoke when not towing.

Other than that, no noticable issues other than I have poor MPG. 12-13 around town if I baby it... really, like old lady style of driving.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 642390
That looks like silica ( sand) particles

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like silica ( sand) particles
[

It certainly does. Especially zoomed in and under the camera's flash. Going to send off an oil sample to a lab. And also cut open and inspect filter.

There was about two to three times that amount in the oil drain pan. In the pic is the largest piece most of the rest was small pieces like what was shown.

I bet there is more bits in the oil pan. I have a fumato drain valve installed and I imagine there might be some larger pieces in the drain pan that couldnt get past the fumato's small diameter opening.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
18,674 Posts
It certainly does. Especially zoomed in and under the camera's flash. Going to send off an oil sample to a lab. And also cut open and inspect filter.

There was about two to three times that amount in the oil drain pan. In the pic is the largest piece most of the rest was small pieces like what was shown.

I bet there is more bits in the oil pan. I have a fumato drain valve installed and I imagine there might be some larger pieces in the drain pan that couldnt get past the fumato's small diameter opening.
Makes me think of kids playing nearby and curiosity leads them to put handfuls of dirt in the oil fill when you're not looking..
Kids/grandkids playing near the truck during the last oil change?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kids/grandkids playing near the truck during the last oil change?
No kids. The truck is kept in the garage and for the most part, is never really left unattended.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
What about sand castings breaking loose?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I opened the oil filter today and did not find anything abnormal. Sending an oil sample to Blackstone tomorrow for analysis. Crossing fingers

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,433 Posts
At this point if I owned it I’d pour a gallon of diesel fuel down through the oil filler tube to flush out the pan and replenish with new oil and filter and keep using it.It could operate fine for the next few years with no issues.You may never have an issue with it.

I agree it would be nice to find out where it came from but unless it’s knocking it’s brains out I’d keep on driving it.

The particles you found wouldn’t be left over sediment that might’ve been in the catch pan before you drained off the oil by any chance would it?Maybe the sediment was already there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts