Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on how this will impact trucks? Can they achieve these lofty goals on full sized trucks?

Interested in hearing from the techies out there..

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think the trucks will fall under the same standards as now, none really

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Emissions

I recently bought a 2010 Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 . The salesman said that the 2010 diesles built after May will have some kind of small tank containing a liquid for the emission system. This tank will have to be serviced at every oil change . Will add about $3,500 to cost of truck. He told me that all brands will have this system. Anybody heard about this ?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The HD trucks are exempt from corporate Fuel economy ratings. You will see a lot of changes in other vehicles though. Most people do not know that HHR, Equinox, SRX are classified as trucks to make the current current ratings. The EPA is changing the rules on what is considered a truck. If the vehicles listed above cannot be considered trucks in the future, GM is going to have some problems.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think those vehicles already get pretty good mileage so I bet it wont affect them much

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
All I can say is the way this country is going, Bend Over and brace your self.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Don't get why people are so concerned about more fuel efficient cars.
Let's see its expected to add $400 to the price of a new car in 2012 and $970 by 2016, but on average people willsave $3000 over the life of the vehicle. Add to that it will decrease our dependence on oil and reduce emissions. I'm trying to find the down side here??

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
the downside is the implementation of more rules and regulations...your freedoms are disappearing very quickly and it needs to be stopped.

emissions on diesels etc. will destroy the diesel performance aftermarket...which i imagine is the whole reason your on this site. there are alot of repercussions that people dont take into account.

people so easily forget that we rather recently rebelled from the tyranny of excessive rule..the same kind of rule that is slowly grasping us again. "don't tread on me"...we need to bring it back.

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I recently bought a 2010 Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 . The salesman said that the 2010 diesles built after May will have some kind of small tank containing a liquid for the emission system. This tank will have to be serviced at every oil change . Will add about $3,500 to cost of truck. He told me that all brands will have this system. Anybody heard about this ?
Its urea. It further cleans the exhaust gasses prior to exiting the vehicle. For most it will just be another thing to remove and only replace when going in for emissions testing.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Let's see its expected to add $400 to the price of a new car in 2012 and $970 by 2016, but on average people willsave $3000 over the life of the vehicle. Add to that it will decrease our dependence on oil and reduce emissions. I'm trying to find the down side here??

You sound like an OBAMA talking point

What they don't tell you is once they ram cap and trade down our throat you wont be saving any money period.

You will need a vehicle that gets 35.5 mpg just to afford to drive to work

·
Registered
328 Posts
The turth of it is that you won't save money, people will generally take more trips/longer trips, thus spending more money. And now that one of the airlines is going to start charging $45 for CARRY-ON baggage, it is starting to look like more people will start driving even more. In the end it won't limit our consumption of foreign oil.

If the governement truely wants to do some good, they need to find a better alternative to the fuel we use now that can be produced here cheaper and that will still give us the same performance. Battery power is a joke except for short commutes. And other fuel alternatives just haven't made it into conveince supply.

And as for upping the price, it goes up every year even though the quality seems to go down. There is almost as much plastic in these things as there is metal anymore.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well said Carter 44.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Your house is next on the list & you will be liable. If you think I'm pullen your leg do a little search of pollutants. You will find Housing, Office Buildings etc. make the vehicles look quite small.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes it is true. All 2011 diesels will have the tank. I believe it is called urea. You can read all about it. Just do a search for it on google. From the article I read and I can't find right at the moment... There will be an indicator warning when you get down to 1k miles left of urea. If you run out, your truck will go into limp mode until you refil the tank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
what in the heck is urea, and where will you buy it?

·
Registered
428 Posts
You sound like an OBAMA talking point

What they don't tell you is once they ram cap and trade down our throat you wont be saving any money period.

You will need a vehicle that gets 35.5 mpg just to afford to drive to work
Wow we should put you geniuses in charge of the "damn govmint". We can all just turn our clocks back 50 years and pretend like nothing ever changes. While your at it why don't ya call China and ask them how ignoring emission controls with an ever growing poplation and growing industrialization has worked out for them so far. Anyone see shanghai. Oh that's right you can't see shanghai thru the air.

You guys sounds like limbaugh. He's got you so scared of the government that anything they do must be bad.
Did anyone pay attention the last 5 years. When government allows industry towork without scrutiny, industry lines its pockets without concern for the people. Please wake up.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
http://truthaboutscr.com/media/pdfs/SCR_Brochure_Medium_2-26-09b.pdf

http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT15618.pdf

Im writing a research paper on this now and have learned alot about the system over the past month. IMO it is a better alternative than the now current particulate filter.

I agree with governments pushing to make vehicles more environmentally friendly, what I do not agree with is the rules and regulations that limit "the small minority" from modifying their own vehicles for their own recreation/purpose.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow!

I was just reading through this thread, and I can't believe the difference in opinions from one person to the next when it comes to the government and emission regulations...

I'm all for aftermarket parts and accessories, and anything else that will make my vehicle perform as I want it to, etc.
As much as these new emission regulations are a pain in the ass, I'm all for them!

How do some people figure that the government is taking away their rights by implementing stringent regulations??
If the government didn't enforce these so called "taking your rights away" regulations, where would we be? (Mexico City)
I doubt very much that people would take the initiative to go out and purchase a Catalytic converter and install it on their vehicle just to make the world a better place.

I complain like everyone else does when a new regulation drives the price of a vehicle upwards, but if it's for the better, then I'm all for it.
If someone can prove to me that these new emission standards are a waste of time and money, then maybe you'll be able to convert me.

There's three times as much emission controls on a 2011 Duramax as appose to a 2001, and yet there's a 32% increase in HP. I most certainly don't see anything wrong with that.

As far as aftermarket companies are concerned, they'll just have to work harder at developing performance parts that keep your vehicle running legal. If the manufacturers can improve performance and emissions, then I'm sure the after market companies can do so also.

That's my opinion!:D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts