Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are no stupid questions...
On at least one front "Yes", since Canada is typically colder than most of the US most of the time the blend will be closer to #1 (vs towards #2) than in the US and therefore of lower lubricity. WRT sulphur content I really don't know, although I have gathered the impression that the US has the slackest standards/requirements for low sulphur fuel - at least when compared to Europe. You might want to read the Bosch fuel quality article that someone recently posted a pointer to, I don't remember if it addressed Canada separately or not.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If the same holds true for fuel as it does lubricants, I would say there is a difference. Based on my conversation with a former chemist with shell canada, there were different standards applied as to what consituted an acceptable 10-30 oil for example. In the US if the oil fell within a certain range of pour points and viscosities for standard temperatures it could be sold like any other 10-30 oil. So somebody with an old frac tower in the back 40 could go ahead and make oil and sell it. There were other factors in place north of the 49th that prevented this from happening, like UFA doesn't make oil, it contracts imperial oil to do this and package it for them to sell under thier label. I think there are only a few companies that are licences to refine and distribute petroluem products to the market and the majority of conventional oil quality is simply determined by the additive package. I can't say the same for the diesel fuel but I would expect It would be a similar thing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There must me a difference due to cold. It has been -42' or close to it here all week & no problems with starting or the fuel gelling.

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm on the border with Canada and the truck stop where I always fill-up is supplied by Shell Canada. The fuel comes blended 60/40 with Kero directly from Shell. It's been - 20 to -30F here lately
They have never had a gelling problem. I use Total Power as an additive.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok how bout this then. Is the fuel cleaner? I ask this because when I went to Vermont one year with my '94 K3500 gasser I noticed that my truck ran way better with the gas there. Was wondering if this was the case with diesel fuel.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It's really hard to say, there is too much variation and lack of control across the United States. Me, I buy from a high volume and a reputable source (chevron, shell, etc.) - I don't trust a truck stop just because it is high volume...

In the United States - it is up to the individual states to monitor and enforce fuel quality standards. In Washington State, to the north of me in Oregon, I think both diesel and gasoline are regulated (I know gas is). In oregon, diesel is monitored, but gasoline is not; I saw an article where a large percentage of the fuel sold as premium gas in oregon was actually regular and issues with contamination are higher than average.

jeffEdited by: dmax lover

1 - 8 of 8 Posts