Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck has aprox. 120k miles,still oem joints,never off road,only wot launch once, occaisional hard accaleration.any ideas how long u joints should last? would like to change them before they break and do damage,but funds are at premiun now and weather kinda sucks for working in driveway.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
dealer said alot of them fail around 60-70k, not really sure if its true, will be checking mine at 80k, am currently at 70k.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, will have to change mine as soon as the weather breaks.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I got 140,000 out of mine towing almost all those miles! It was just the rear one at the diff. But changed them all and carrier bearing also. They will usually let you know when it's time! I would say their the least of things to worry about!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I have not changed a u-joint on any of the vehicals on my signature since we bought them. Now my brother 84 3/4 cannot keep front spline on front driveline. fills with cinders from puddles on driveways chews them off . this pickup allways has the hubs engauged. 200000 on my 84 with original ujoints 150K on suburban and 87 3/4 ton dmax only at 25K. 93 dodge bought it with 65K has 85K on it now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input,guys

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I got 140,000 out of mine towing almost all those miles! It was just the rear one at the diff. But changed them all and carrier bearing also. They will usually let you know when it's time! I would say their the least of things to worry about!
Not so sure there's nothing to worry about.
Have you heard the talk that a bad U-Joint can be one of the causes for the Allison cases that are cracking?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts