Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning i when i put my dmax in reverse to leave for work i heard a clunk, thought nothing of it. had to put in in 4wd to get out of my drive way and then put it back in 2wd when i got goin. i head some hum/vibration and thought maybe it was just still stuck in 4wd. the vibration is gettin worse and i know its not still in 4wd b/c only the rears were spinning when i got on the snow at work. I think its the universal joints b/c of the clunk goin into drive and reverse and vibration, i havnt got under the truck yet b/c its 0 degrees out. any one have any other ideas of what it might be? or could i actually be right and have a bad u joint?

·
Registered
340 Posts
U joints are usually where you would look first in driveline vibration. Even if you dont find a loose one you should at least remove the shaft from the rear yoke and make sure a joint is not tight. A lot of time the factory ones get very tight before they get loose.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was leaving work today and dicided to fight the bitter cold and i found this...
well i guess i dont have to replace my u joints woo hoo! see what i get for wanting to clean the salt off of my truck, the damn car wash water must have drained out of the snow that was in the back of my truck

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
haha thats kinda funny, and good you don't have to replace u-joints:weld::funnypost

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I bet that rattled your teeth when you got up to speed!!!!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it wasnt too bad, but the clunking of the ice breakin when i put it in reverse leaving for work and the vibration felt exactly like every time the u joints went bad in my old gmc

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I was having bad vibrations last week as well. Turned out that my truck doesn't like a block of ice surrounding my motor, tranny, and t-case.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts