Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the squeaking driveshaft / u-joint symptoms on my truck and have it scheduled to go in for service. The service writer says that if the u-joints were not lubed that they would not be covered under warranty? I do all my own maintenance work but have never lubed a u-joint that doesn't have a zerk fitting, was I negligent in my duties? Find it hard to believe that if I had the dealer service it they would have ever dropped the drive shaft and disassembled the u-joints to grease them.

Am I getting the straight scoop from the dealer or is he trying to get out of a warranty claim?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sounds like BS to me. The delaership replaced one of my U-joints with no questions asked while I was still under warranty. I would get the "service writer" to show you how to perform preventative maintenance on an item with no zerk.

-Wardster

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I asked him, he said you disassemble it, grease it and put it back together. I would think if you are going to trouble of taking them out you would just replace them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your dealer is full of sh*t. It sounds like they are trying to take you for a ride. Our u joints are permanantly sealed. Where are you gonna squirt the grease. If you disasemble it, I still have to ask where you are gonna put the grease. Is he talking about actually taking the ujoint itself apart? No way is that something you are supposed to do. If you are still under warranty, DO NOT pay for new u joints, it should be covered. I don't remember seeing grease the ujoints in the manual. Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
):h I can't believe they told you that line of crap.....
Every U-joint in GM vehicles (and others) for the last 15 + years have been sealed from the factory....

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can't disassemble the factory u-joints. They use a plastic clip to hold everything together. You use a torch to melt it out in order to remove the cups. Once it is out, it can't be reinstalled. The replacement u-joints use the standard metal clip to hold the cups in place.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, I went ahead and brought the truck in to the dealer today (nobody ever said I was real smart) maybe just to press the issue... we will see what happens, will let you know.

Probably should have just repaired it myself but then what did I purchase the extended warranty for? It also needed both rear axle seals and the right side camper mirror sticks more often than not.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You can't disassemble the factory u-joints. They use a plastic clip to hold everything together. You use a torch to melt it out in order to remove the cups. Once it is out, it can't be reinstalled. The replacement u-joints use the standard metal clip to hold the cups in place.
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Exactly. Did this many times. If that is the case...have him take you in the shop and let you watch a tech grease onwithout a zerk....idiot. I would call the area rep for GM even if he does fix it to let them know they have an idiot on their hands who is hurting customer service.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok here is the latest from the dealer, they are going to cover the u-joints under warranty (like he did me a big favor) the axle seal job turned out needing new axles... also under warranty. But this is the latest thing that doesn't make sense to me, on the camper mirror not working all the time he said the body control module would have to be reflashed before they would look at any possible mechanical problems. The re-flash would not be covered and would cost me $45.00 does that sound right? If it doesn't work it doesn't work I don't care what the reason is.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I call BS on the $45 flash charge. I installed the power camper mirrors after I bought my truck and local dealer charged me $30 to do reflash both door modules. The reflash won't fix the problem anyways. I think there is at least one TSB out there regarding the "sticky" problems with the mirrors which requires lubricating them and or adjustment.

I would simply tell them you will pay $45 if the reflash fixes the problem, otherwise why should you pay for it? They are just trying to nickel/dime you ...but you brought this on yourself for taking it back to the same dealer :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts