Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellers,

I finally got the Moog U-joints I ordered from RockAuto. I'm trying to replace these on the 4x4 front axle shaft.

The dimensions of the new ones are virtually identical to those already on the axle, but I got a little increase in my pulse when I saw that the ones sitting on the axle has some sort of "bracket" connected to it. Included a picture. below.

The "bracket" seems to somehow limit the travel of the ujoint. Now, the new Moogs I got in the mail don't have this bracket - so the question is - can I still use them?

I haven't taken the old ujoints off the axle yet, as I don't know if the new ones are compatible.

·
Administrator
18,984 Posts
Hey fellers,

I finally got the Moog U-joints I ordered from RockAuto. I'm trying to replace these on the 4x4 front axle shaft.

The dimensions of the new ones are virtually identical to those already on the axle, but I got a little increase in my pulse when I saw that the ones sitting on the axle has some sort of "bracket" connected to it. Included a picture. below.

View attachment 643191

The "bracket" seems to somehow limit the travel of the ujoint. Now, the new Moogs I got in the mail don't have this bracket - so the question is - can I still use them?

I haven't taken the old ujoints off the axle yet, as I don't know if the new ones are compatible.
That looks like something that someone welded on and not part of the u joint design..

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,171 Posts
Looks like a "hack" job trying to fix it, may be it was broken?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its not a hack job it's factory. I encountered the same thing when I did my ujoints. You can tell it's factory because the ujoint still has the plastic injection ring still holding it. FYI if you didn't know you're going to need a torch to take that u joint out. You will see the plastic nipples on the axle itself pop like a zit. That's when you know you're ready to remove the ujoint.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the guidance fellers, I'll burn those old ujoints off and slap on the new Moogs!

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,171 Posts
Please check Youtube to see if there is any video on this task.
I suspect the gasser have similar setup.

·
Registered
1994 Chevrolet K2500 6.5 td auto trans 260k no mods yet, 2007 K3500 LBZ 106k Mods Currently broken
1 Posts
That is an assembly line clip to retain the bearings during assembly, be very careful when applying heat ,that plastic retainer will spit hot plastic at you

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads up DirtyMax!

It did indeed try to go volcano mode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts