Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to change the carrier bearing in the center of the two piece driveshaft? I have an 02 CCSB 4x4 with the two piece driveshaft. Today when I was out I could hear a clunking noise when driving slow. I crawled under the truck and the bearing looks to be shot. The rubber that it is mounted in is all torn up and it is sitting in the bottom of the carrier. The shaft has a good two inches of play in it. Is this a job the average guy can do in the garage or should I take it in.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
i don't know about taking the bearing off but I did replace the rubber mount with a solid one that I made from a block of rubber. once in a while a little viberation can be felt going down the hiway. sure stopped alot of the driveline movement when loaded. just a thought. I would think it should press off just make sure new one is in same position. should be a shoulder or stop of some kind. just measure it. if you here a squeek after it is worked on move carrier bracket forward or back an 1/8" or so. I have photo's of changing rubber email if you want to see pics. still have not mastered making pics fit here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It might be better to take it in to have it repaired because it has the bearing in it and has to be pressed off. I do know that some trucks had a bulletin for launch shudder where the two-peice shaft was replaced with a one piece shaft.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a vibration around 40mph and thought this bearing might be the culprit. Seems to move a lot in it's housing. Unfortunately the one piece is not an option for my truck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
replace bearing

Hi I replaced the center carrier bearing myself. It does have to be pulled off the shaft. If you don't have a puller you might consider taking it to a mid-heavy duty truck driveline shop. They can source a quality SPICER replacement. The local shop here in Kansas City offered to R&R it for $25 if I remember correctly. The only reason I did R&R was I had to have the truck for a trip early Monday AM so it became a weekend project. If I were you I would replace the ujoints with greaseable units while I was at it. OH!!, by the way the SPICER replacement is EXPENSIVE. I think it was about $150 and that was after the parts counter guy felt sorry for me an discounted it a little. He didn't quite understand why so pricey. Class 8 truck carriers are typically $50-75.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,

I have pullers and a press at work so I can use them if needed. I am headed out to the garage to tear into it. Does anyone have the #s of the bearing, support bushing or the greasable spicer replacement u-joints.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts