Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I get these asked since I've bought my 04 and I don't know #1 but #2 just wondered what you have for more technical response than to keep 'er warm.

cmc

1 Why is there two batteries under the hood and does anything run 24V?

2. Why do drivers all ways leave there diesels run when the leave for just a shot period?

·
Registered
149 Posts
You have 2 batteries because there is more power draw starting a diesel requiring more cranking amps, and there are glow plugs that draw on the batterys before the truck is running. I believe the fuse on the glow plugs alone is 175 amps. They take a lot of power and woudn't leave much juice in just one battery to crank with- especially at below zero temps. I leave mine running if its just a short stop partly for the above reason- I'm not depleting the batteries further by shutting off and restarting. Keepin it warm can be another reason. Some guys just like to hear them run is another. Excessive idling is not good for them however. Good luck with you're new truck- I love mine!

·
Registered
74 Posts
1. Batteries are in parallel for more current capacity, not voltage.

2. Some believe that it is more efficient and easier on engine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and I'd like to add another one but this is actually my question.

If you open the bleed valve on the bottom of filter after the truck has run for a bit should fuel come out?

Next how about if it's sat over night?

thanks

cmc

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
First off the only dumb question is the question unasked ....

Yes it is normal for diesel to flow out of the bottom of the petcock ....

Water is heavier and will settle in the bottom of the filter and is to be drained off .... If no water is present straight fuel will flow ....

Mac

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Mackin said:
Yes it is normal for diesel to flow out of the bottom of the petcock ....

You said cock

You also have to think about how much current is required to turn the motor with our high compression ratio.Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
868 Posts
The glow plugs go through a hot cycle on a re-start even if the engine is already warm. Therefore, if I am only going to be stopped for a short time, I leave the engine running.

Of course, this is unless I am in a neighborhood where doing that could result in the truck leaving the area under the control of an unauthorized driver.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have always thought that it is a good idea to let a diesel idle for a few minutes after hard driving (i.e. high speed or towing/hauling) to let the turbo cool down. I know with the for 6.0L it specifically says to let it idle for up to 10 minutes after hard driving.

If I stop at 7eleven, I never shut it off.

Everything is 12V, its in series as already mentioned.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The "cooldown" for turbos originated with earlier designs where the turbo would continue to spin for some time after shutdown and the hot exhaust snail would cook or "coke" the residual oil in the turbo bearing. Our Duramax turbos have a water-cooled center section so hot shutdown and turbo bearing oil coking is not a concern. My EGT gauge drops right back to idle levels almost immediately even after hard running and without the hot turbo heat soaking issue it's not necessary.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what does is mean if nothing comes out when you open up it up ( the plastic petcok as Mackin put it)

did that to see how this how this were from the factory and nada/nothing came out. That was about 6-7 full twist. Does is take a ton of twist to crack the seal for stuff to flow?

getting that not so warm and fuzzy feeling abou it.

cmc

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
CMC-GMC said:
what does is mean if nothing comes out when you open up it up ( the plastic petcok as Mackin put it)

did that to see how this how this were from the factory and nada/nothing came out. That was about 6-7 full twist. Does is take a ton of twist to crack the seal for stuff to flow?

getting that not so warm and fuzzy feeling abou it.

cmc
Pump the bleeder she'll flow .....

Mac

(More suggestive posting
)

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
the filter is on the suction side of the fuel pump, so it operates under vacuum. Although the suction should break pretty soon after shutdown, don't expect a stream of fuel out of the drain unless you loosen the vent screw prior to opening the drain. (Remember the old "finger over the straw" trick in the soda fountain?) Even with the vent screw loosened, I've never gotten more than a short trickle of fuel out of my drain when checking for water/contaminants.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The reason I let mine idle on short stops is, have you ever checked the price of one of these starters
. Less use, means longer life.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Mackin said:
Pump the bleeder she'll flow .....

Mac

(More suggestive posting
)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I always leave mine running so insied the truck does not get warm in the summer. I also let it run in the winter so when the knuckleheads in those HEMI trucks rev there engines at me my engine is watm enough to woo that a**

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
inside warm enough

1 - 17 of 17 Posts