Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thread on this a while back but it got closed bc of people want to argue about whos stuff was better or something like that, but anyway lets not let this one go that way.

Im wanting to build my own twin setup, iv found a HT-60 im planning on running with the stocker. but i have absolutely no idea where to start.

I guess got juice would be a good person to talk to, maybe he'll chime in here. I realize there are kits out there but i can do it a lot cheaper myself (once i figure out how) and its a lot more fun to do it your self.

maybe a DIY twins thread......... and once again guys please dont let this get personal with whos stuff is better, i dont really, care im not in the market for a kit, i cant afford it right now, i just want some info on everything ill need and how its done.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
chevy_9465;1572237; said:
I had a thread on this a while back but it got closed bc of people want to argue about whos stuff was better or something like that, but anyway lets not let this one go that way.

Im wanting to build my own twin setup, iv found a HT-60 im planning on running with the stocker. but i have absolutely no idea where to start.

I guess got juice would be a good person to talk to, maybe he'll chime in here. I realize there are kits out there but i can do it a lot cheaper myself (once i figure out how) and its a lot more fun to do it your self.

maybe a DIY twins thread......... and once again guys please dont let this get personal with whos stuff is better, i dont really, care im not in the market for a kit, i cant afford it right now, i just want some info on everything ill need and how its done.
I would look into a Garrett GT40 over the Holset HT-60. The holset is a decent turbo, but it is HUGE in size. The Garrett will be all you need (and then some) and will not suffer from packaging issues that the larger sized Holset will.

I would send Nathan a PM. He won't exactly hand you over the blueprints , but I know he would help you out in selecting a charger that will work well for you.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
What OTHER parts are needed besides a second charger.....

Do the intercooler hoses need to be remade or altered, etc?

How about a wastegate for the second charger (I assume this is totally dependant upon which charger you choose)?

Where to get oil from for the second charger? Where to get and what type of hose/line for this?

Any alterations to the intake manifold?

Exhaust tubing from little charger outlet to big charger inlet? I assume this is a 'hot pipe'?

Anything besides the air intake and pass. side battery need to be removed and/or relocated?

There, that should get the ball rolling for ya chevy. ;)

C-ya

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
the pipes are going to be the hardest part...

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Things to think about;

Relocate;
Battery
Air box
Radiator tank

Make oil lines to and from turbo, build hot pipe, cold pipe, intercooler pipes, down pipe, wastegate mount/pipe, intake pipe.

Choose mounts and turbo.

Head studs? Street use, sled pulling, drag truck...

Can surely be done, cool project:ro)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Another question.....

How to mount the second charger? The piping surely doesn't support it does it?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
SmokeShow;1573453; said:
Another question.....

How to mount the second charger? The piping surely doesn't support it does it?
Mine in mount to the block on a post with bracing, piping doesn't hold it in place.
I sugest looking at a set of Nathens twin installed and then you have an idea of how complicated they are (and how nice Nathen's kit is)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
IdahoRob;1573411; said:
Things to think about;

Relocate;
Battery (in/under bed the best place? any kits available for this?)
Air box (there isn't a "box" used on the MPI kits are there, just a filter at the end of an intake pipe?)
Radiator tank (is this 100% req'd? where to put it, if so?)

Make oil lines (do these need to be hard lines or can high temp, hi pressure braided steel lines be used?) to and from turbo, build hot pipe (out of exhaust piping, right?), cold pipe (will alum. suffice?), intercooler pipes (again, alum. be fine?), down pipe, wastegate mount/pipe (this is only necessary for a non-wastegated second charger, correct?), intake pipe.

Choose mounts and turbo (gt4204 work ok?)

Head studs? Street use, sled pulling, drag truck...

Can surely be done, cool project:ro)

That should help out a little more...

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
ZR1160;1573457; said:
Mine in mount to the block on a post with bracing, piping doesn't hold it in place.
I sugest looking at a set of Nathens twin installed and then you have an idea of how complicated they are (and how nice Nathen's kit is)
I'm aware. :D

I'm not even interested in doing this myself. Just trying to get Chevy9465 started with some questions that he might have for you all. ;)

Thanks a LOT for the help so far. Its interesting reading as far as I'm concerned. The more technical the better. Once the physical requirements are determined, I have more "fun" questions to ask. :D

C-ya

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Importkilla used a small round cylindrical overflow tank he bought from Jegs to save space. All lines were braded steel. Don't forget the oil return down to the oil pan off the second charger. The HX 60 was mounted on a custom bracket I believe directly to the front of the frame.

I know he is using parts of his system for his new build, but he may have a few of the other pieces left over to sell. Might be able to get a pipe or two there to save some time.

The HX 60 worked great combined with a stock turbo and it's very economical. I'm sure there are an infinite # of choices out there and I won't show my ignorance of turbos by saying what's the best. I just know what worked for him. It does cause some issue because of the size but it also spooled up easily and hit 50 psi like nothing. Watch any of the videos and listen for it to blow off - he used a Turbonetics wastegate, another must if you like your internals to stay in the motor. It was adjusted from 30-50psi depending on what the truck was doing at the time. Daily driver and towed a lawncare trailer 3 nights a week and ocassionally hauled a much tougher white crew cab to work stock pulls:D .

I'd suggest you do head studs no matter what turbo you choose. The abuse a set of twins on a bonse stock motor will eventually come back to haunt you. How long until it happens will be based on your right foot.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
ZR1160;1573457; said:
I'd like to see a set in person. The fit and finish look good and I know he is able to charge what he does based on that (that and no competition in the market).

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
05Smoker;1573658; said:
The abuse a set of twins on a bonse stock motor will eventually come back to haunt you. How long until it happens will be based on your right foot.
Nicely setup twins have nothing to do with engine wear IMO. I ran for over two years and 100's upon 100's of 1/4 passes(many in the 11's/ low 12's). Was my only transportation, towed, raced, plowed, etc. Last time at the track tied my fastest ever, so no worries if set-up right. Stock bolts also.

Now, that being said, with the added air and added fuel(twin cp3's) you may be at the limit of stock internals. Tune it right and it will live a very long time.

My .02 cents

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Here's my thought about the mounting situation...

Surely it needs to be mounted directly to the engine block as opposed to the frame because I would imagine the torqueing of the engine would be tough on a bracket and charger if they were mounted to a seperate rigid area that didn't flex when the engine revved, no?

05Smoker, when your brothers engine blew, he was just running a single CP3, correct? Whose tuning?

C-ya

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
05Smoker;1573666; said:
I'd like to see a set in person. The fit and finish look good and I know he is able to charge what he does based on that (that and no competition in the market).
It does help to see them in person, I like my LLY twins so much, Nathan is going to build me a bigger set for my LB7 project:D

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
IdahoRob;1573785; said:
Nicely setup twins have nothing to do with engine wear IMO. I ran for over two years and 100's upon 100's of 1/4 passes(many in the 11's/ low 12's). Was my only transportation, towed, raced, plowed, etc. Last time at the track tied my fastest ever, so no worries if set-up right. Stock bolts also.

Now, that being said, with the added air and added fuel(twin cp3's) you may be at the limit of stock internals. Tune it right and it will live a very long time.

My .02 cents
Rob, what kind of boost were you making?

I think it depends on the kind of boost you plan to make and how hard you run it - the HX 60 and a GT 40 that were mentioned are both capable of making enough to hurt a motor when used in twins, properly set-up or not in my opinion. I still thinks studs are a good idea with any aftermarket turbo upgrade. That's just me being conservative I guess.

The tuning for his truck was done by a few different members here that I won't mention (I made some modifciations to it so anyone can blame me that wants). I don't want to open that can of worms here. It was on pretty much the same tune from IRP in May until October with minor tweaks. It wasn't tuning that did it in my opinion. The tune on it wasn't very agressive at all because we were afraid to push it too far with the limited amounts of fuel - yes, stock system except a FASS pumo. It was a year of abuse that did it - watch some of the videos on the street. That truck outlived everyone's expectations.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ur scarin me guys:eek: , I was under the impression that i would probably be ok with stock bolts???

Anybody know the difference between the HX-60 & the HT-60? I think i can afford to make my own set right now but i cant afford to have the motor go:rolleyes: Iv found the ht6o for 450, could i find one or maybe even another kind cheaper somewhere? Keep the good info coming guys

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I was running around 50 pounds of boost. On the stud issue, I have spoken with some of the big duramax engine guys that run big power/boost/drugs and have not seen boost related failures on stock bolts. This doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just I've yet to hear of it in my research.

If you have to replace a head gasket or crack the engine for any reason, than studs would be wise. I have heard of guys running 60psi on stock bolts, and twins help more because of the cooler air charge.

Another thing that has run through my little mind, is I'd rather have the gasket fail first before the rods if cyl. pressures are that high.

On the boost issue, 45-55 pounds is enough to clean up just about all the fuel available with stock injectors.

My new set-up will be wastegated to run in the 50-55psi range on stock sticks and stock head bolts.

DISCLAIMER: I'm no expert, just have run a trouble free stock motor with twins for a long, hard time.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Another big issue is getting the two turbos working together. If one is doing all the work, than you have a worse set-up than a big single, because of back pressures and EGT's.

This is where the testing as well as all the trial and error come into play.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.