Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done this yet? i understand that there isnt enough fuel yet, but wouldn't the twins for the lly work?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Takes alot of fuel to light them.......im sure they will come

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wouldnt want them without the fuel. if they dont have to re-engineer them, its that shorter until we get em.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Im pretty sure the LLY twins will work for the LBZ. Get the powerpup, stack it with the PPE pressure box and add propane):h

·
Registered
648 Posts
There are some differences between the two motors, namely the intercooler pipe with the grid heaters and the plastic piece that attaches to the inlet of the stock turbo. I have a friend begging me to do them for his truck (LBZ). I told him when they make boxes/downloaders for them I'll consider it. It would be nice if they actually stuck with the LBZ for awhile. So to answer your question no the LLY stuff wont work for the LBZ.

Tyson,

They can be driven with stock fueling and no ill effects.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
add me to the list of people begging you to do theirs

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
i wouldnt want them without the fuel. if they dont have to re-engineer them, its that shorter until we get em.
Well, on an LB7 with stock fuelling the twins make as much boost as a stock turbo, but with some lag

Throw 30 RWHP of fuel at them, and that lag becomes a non issue.

Bottom turbo starts spinning well at 5 PSIG. By 7 PSIG the bottom turbo is coming in very nicely.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Boost is related to how much fuel is available, more fuel= more boost, not have enough fuel can't hurt anything, but when ,more fuel becomes available for the lbz you will be ready for it):h

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
For the twin set up that is currently out. How do they justify appox. $2000 more than the BD turbo, or $1000 more than the Aurora? The kit is only coming with 1 turbo. So basically, a person is paying all that extra money for a few extra pipes and hoses?

I not ripping on the kit, just want to hear a good reasonable explaination.

John

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it sounds cooler. just kidding. i like the idea of twins more than a big single because more people have a big single. I don't want my truck to be like everyone else's. nothing bad against the singles though.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
R&D isn't free!!!!!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
First off is a bigger turbo than the BD there is a compleat new down pipe, coated hot pipe two coated cold pipes, new airfilter, Maf housing and all the plumbing to move the coolent tank and other lines, and all the r&d to make it fit.

If you can figure out which turbo to buy, fab your all your own pipes, have them the coated, reroute all the plumbing, buy the new air filter, all the clamps and fittings, turbo support bracket, exhaust wrap, and figure out what your time is worth ( say if labour was half and at $30.00 per hour and you better figure it all out in less then 17hrs, if all the parts were free you better figure it out in less the 33 1/3 hrs,) and if it all adds up to less than $999.99, you saved your self a bundle.

Personaly, I feel it's worth it, but suit yourself.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
First off is a bigger turbo than the BD there is a compleat new down pipe, coated hot pipe two coated cold pipes, new airfilter, Maf housing and all the plumbing to move the coolent tank and other lines, and all the r&d to make it fit.

If you can figure out which turbo to buy, fab your all your own pipes, have them the coated, reroute all the plumbing, buy the new air filter, all the clamps and fittings, turbo support bracket, exhaust wrap, and figure out what your time is worth ( say if labour was half and at $30.00 per hour and you better figure it all out in less then 17hrs, if all the parts were free you better figure it out in less the 33 1/3 hrs,) and if it all adds up to less than $999.99, you saved your self a bundle.

Personaly, I feel it's worth it, but suit yourself.
Remember when Nathan started work on my truck?
with the relocation, fab work on set #1 was 21 straight 9-12 hour days.

Assuming only 9 hours a day, that adds up to 189 hours. Granted, the pipes now are mandrel bent rather than welded, but that time represents almost 7000 in time to do set #1 not including pipe costs or turbo costs or cable costs etc etc etc.

Why is a twin setup more $$$ than a single? Assuming the Aurora 5000 is around 3000, most expensive turbos are in the 2500.00 range. So 500.00 for a pedestal isn't expensive as well?

Nathan's kit is in line with any other Twin setup you can buy for a CTD. Considering the flipped ATS manifold that is the heart of most dodge twin setups is a 400.00 stand alone piece.

There are finally options for all of us in aftermarket turbos. Which is cause for celebration, not for picking nits.

IMHO

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Can anyone elaborate on why twins might be chosen over a big single. I have twins in plan. Just need that extra assurance, like everytime to make a purchase this large. I want low 12's and lots of whistle. Am I making the right decision? Not to steal the thread or anything, sorry.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
:exactly:

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I not "picking nits". I'm also happier than pigs in sh!t, that there are now a few choices of turbos out to choose from. The only thing i'm unhappy about is that, other than BD, the prices on these turbo kits are not coming down due to competition.

I hope that BD really takes off and steals sales from some of the other manufacters. This is the only way prices will start to drop.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Can anyone elaborate on why twins might be chosen over a big single. I have twins in plan. Just need that extra assurance, like everytime to make a purchase this large. I want low 12's and lots of whistle. Am I making the right decision? Not to steal the thread or anything, sorry.
Driveability is extremely good with Twins. A good rule of thumb with Twins are less lag (handy when not balls to the wall) and better street manners. EGT reduction is also very good.

The modern big singles are also very good. In the Cummins world there are singles that can challenge Twin configurations in dragracing and sledpulling.

With an automatic, the boost lag between shifts is less than a standard trans, so once spooled all else being equal they should both do a good job.

Twins hold EGT's in check better than a large single if both setups are operating efficiently. (When towing take note of this important fact)

The downside of Twins? Glad you asked.

More complex plumbing.
Answering a lot of questions.
A Few Dollars More.
Installation time is longer. (relocate battery and coolant can)

12's are cake with the current turbo selections out there. Add some good programming from TTS or PPE or a Stacked setup (edge quad/bullydog ppe VA stoopid etc). Lift Pump/s/ Trippin Tracs, Tierod sleeves. Transmission from ATS/ Suncoast/DTT and you should be good to go.

All this and ONE FUEL ONLY!:ro)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but I plan on buying a duramax real soon, and would love to do something different from everyother truck around here and I'm am thinking twins might be the way to go. I will most likley be getting a LB7 and am trying to do as mush research as possible before I actually get the truck. Just curious as to how much a twin setup costs? I know they cost more than a replacment single turbo, but about how much more? Also, what type of programing will be needed to supply a twin setup? Thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but I plan on buying a duramax real soon, and would love to do something different from everyother truck around here and I'm am thinking twins might be the way to go. I will most likley be getting a LB7 and am trying to do as mush research as possible before I actually get the truck. Just curious as to how much a twin setup costs? I know they cost more than a replacment single turbo, but about how much more? Also, what type of programing will be needed to supply a twin setup? Thank you all for the help.
Call DTT 1-866-504-4002

·
Registered
221 Posts
can someone pm me where i can go to find twins for my lly thanks?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.