Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the talk about pre and post OEM fuel filters, I have a feasability question:

If I install an in-bed 45 gallon diesel tank with transfer pump, can't I install a fuel filter between that tank and the main tank and never fill the main tank directly but always via the aux tank to "polish" the fuel? If so, what would be the guru recommended favorite?

Seems to me it would be a fairly low tech solution to well filtered fuel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, Obviously nobody wants to label themselves a "Guru."

How about if some beer drinking, gas passing, sub 13 second flag waving Real 'Merican gives a recommendation? Or maybe someone just mildly flatulant?

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
I am sure you could mount a NICKTANE setup for the first shot out of the transfer tank then go with a second one under the truck out of the main tank. If you always transfer then it should be super clean as opposed to filling the stocker and getting one filter pass thru then off to the stock filter.

Talk to Nick he is the Founder of the Forum and Nicktane inventor.

GMC

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, GMC. that should work nicely either tween tanks or after the stock one. Probably easier on me putting it between the transfer tank and the main one though. I ain't into rolling around under my truck like I was 45 years ago and Murphy seems to have found a place to hang his hat 'cause every time I do it takes 3 trips to Napa to fix what wasn't broke....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Sneaks, welcome over from RV.NET

With the setup you're talking about you could do just about anything. Sounds intriquing to me. I've wondered how folks plumb those in. I guess you could put a T and a check valve in the return line to the OEM tank? You could use the biggest badest filter you can find or do a series thing, 10 micron then 2 micron, using smaller filters that won't plug up as quick?

George in Albuquerque

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 27 gal. tank in my bed w/Racor between the tank & the filler neck on stock tank.Before I put the filter in it was syphoned in ,after putting in the 2micron filter in it didn't flow to good so I had to put a Carter fuelpump in.Works great now,as long as you rember to turn it off.Still want to put a pre-oem filter in when I get around to it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sneaks, it looks like your question was answered, but what you were suggesting is exactly what I did. I only fill my 50 In-Bed Aux tank, and let it run through the filter into the main. Very very easy to do. I installed a Transferflow unit, Racor filter, and couldn't be happier. Although I am considering a frame mounted Pre-OEM or perhaps a Post-OEM also... Is triple filtering a sign of an illness?? Should I be in counseling
??

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts