Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an 2500 HD LLY, and familiar with the squeal or chirp of the belts when the ignition is shut off - a normal thing re the compression and position of the belts, etc..

Now I just picked an 06 3500 SRW LBZ with 9 miles on the OD. There is no chirp or squeal that I can hear when the engine is shut off. What I do hear is a "clunk" when I shut the engine. I opened the door and listened to the engine shut off. Its definitely a clunk or two, not a chirp of the belts.

Tomorrow morning I'll be going to the dealer to have the nerf bars installed and will demonstrate this to the tech. Any thoughts?

Thanks and I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Special thanks to Howard for pushing this baby through in 8 weeks - during the holiday season!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
re clunking noise when engine is turned off

The dealership tech listened as I shut the engine off and immediately said it was a part of the exhaust hitting the frame. Put it on the lift and demonstrated that to me. The exact spot being hit which causes the clunking sound is the cross member after the cat.

He said:
1. there is a bulletin out
2. dealership will get an entire new exhaust system and install.
3. The exhaust pipe hitting the cross member when the engine shuts off will not harm anything.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The dealership tech listened as I shut the engine off and immediately said it was a part of the exhaust hitting the frame. Put it on the lift and demonstrated that to me. The exact spot being hit which causes the clunking sound is the cross member after the cat.

He said:
1. there is a bulletin out
2. dealership will get an entire new exhaust system and install.
3. The exhaust pipe hitting the cross member when the engine shuts off will not harm anything.
You need to take that guy to lunch. From what I've read here, most techs or SW/SMs would've told you it "is normal"

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
So what are you trying to say about the techs here?
Let me re-phrase!

From what I've read here, most Dealer Service Techs (read dealer mechanics) or Dealer Service Writers/Service Managers would've told you it "is normal".

I wasn't talking about any of the techs here. Is that really what you understood from my original post??? :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts