Diesel Place banner

501 - 520 of 658 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
how are the (snowmobile) trails up there?
if we had trails, and it was affordable to most people, they would be excellent, but, due to tree-huggers, sporty people, and a general hatred of sleds, most trails here are closed.... going on 2 winters now since i rode a sled, never missed a winter before that since i was 8 years old...

been slowly building myself a fun back country sled, using a 1975 snojet astro SS chassis, all the chain case/drive/brakes/track/suspension from a 1994 indy 500, and a 503 rotax fan cooled engine... perfect for the ultra tight and twisties i have access to, and wont cost me a whole year of mortage payments to ride...LOL.... and they are calling another 6" of snow and freezing rain here thursday...

Reactions: sportsman7

·
Registered
523 Posts
sorry to hear about the trail situation, glad you love sleds as much as us!!! thanks for the info!

if it makes you feel any better I spent almost all of last winter (awesome, tons of snow, very little melt too) going through my beloved sled (finally had some money and a real winter, very cold in the garage though, diesel was too expensive= no heat) and this year we rode 120 very hard-fought-for miles......

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
sorry to hear about the trail situation, glad you love sleds as much as us!!! thanks for the info!

if it makes you feel any better I spent almost all of last winter (awesome, tons of snow, very little melt too) going through my beloved sled (finally had some money and a real winter, very cold in the garage though, diesel was too expensive= no heat) and this year we rode 120 very hard-fought-for miles......
first winter we lived up here, i drove 3500km, it was awesome, but, the year after they started cracking down and complaining.... now the major rail-bed route is groomed x-country skiiing for the most part, still trails, but a major 40 km part of it in the middle is closed...... this season we have had just shy of 7'...

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Around here we have snow pass's for groomed trail and if you ride without one and get caught expect a stiff fine. The snow pass money is put towards new trails, trail maintenance and groomers. They almost always have piles of money and do a bang up job on the trails.

indexgfjf.jpg

imageskiygfuig.jpg

I wonder how much they make off those xcross country skiers....

And a few giggles for the day....

imageslugkg.jpg

imageslughkuh.jpg

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
When I went through West Yellowstone I saw the coolest van ever. It was a 4x4 with mattracks on and completely decked out with lights and everything needed to go on one hell of an adventure.

I haven't ridden a sled in 15 years :( My dad still rides whenever he can, but he gets a lot more snow up in Montana than I do in S. Idaho. We only had a couple inches all year and have to drive a long way to find some decent snow.

the bright side is that it means that you can ride your motorcycles 9 months out of the year.

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #507
update, continuing on diff....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #508 (Edited)
last time we bought passes, 2003ish(when we still had our sleds) it was $350.00 for the season, and lately the season starts around the middle to late december, and is finishing up now...

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
pics, front spring packs built....

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
Great idea on the spring spacers.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,785 Posts
:thumb: This thing is gonna rip up shop plowing snow..

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Hola, snow pass here $100

Now that's how you put some Folgers in your truck....

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #513
up dates, got the diff all built, and installed in the truck, kind of wondering how much spring lift is too much(added 3 extra leafs, plus a thick load spring, shows in one of the pics) before the pitman arm on the driverside starts to be dangerous, all this is without the engine/tranny/transfer case in yet... pics...

also started fitting and making brackets to use a pick-up tail-gate in where the blazer back door used to be, kind of challenging, as the small space beside each tail light was all rotted, and i repaired it with 1/8" plate, so everything is a bit narrower, but is coming along, also had to notch the lower lip of the gate to clear the frame flange, which is wider on the blazers than the pick-up, when it stops snowing, i will snap a few pics...

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,695 Posts
Looking good :thumb:

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
You maybe close to maxing out the TRE. Unbolt it and see how far it can travel but a drop pitman arm I think is an order as it won't live long as is.

Crossover steering would be nice if you can find a flat top knuckle and swap to 2wd steering box.

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #516
You maybe close to maxing out the TRE. Unbolt it and see how far it can travel but a drop pitman arm I think is an order as it won't live long as is.

Crossover steering would be nice if you can find a flat top knuckle and swap to 2wd steering box.
when you say unbolt it, do you mean to unscrew it from the collar? we had discussed using a longer adjustable collar.....:idea:

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,785 Posts
There are 3 ways to correct steering after putting in lift springs.

Drop pitman arm

Drop drag link

And raised steering arm.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Yup, what he said...sorta

When I said to undo the TRE I ment to remove the TRE from the pitman arm and find out how much more angle you have before it binds and you have to include steering and suspension teavel also.

Using a longet adjuster collar will fix the turn to turn problem and you'll have over an inch of TRE threads in the collar but it'll still be bump steer city cause the drag link wants to be paralell to the ground.

Try either the raised steering arm or drop pitman first or both as the S'y drag link is a patch for too much lift and should go to cross over steering already situation.

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #519
our next step now, will be to install the engine/trans/ t-case into the truck, and look again.... not sure when, i am fixing the cab on rattlepuss now, jim is building a full manual TH400, we have a clients car later on this week to swap engines, maybe we will get some time on the weekend...

Reactions: Bigboytoys

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
anyone ever drill out the D44 front u-joint pinion to modify it for u-bolts instead of straps? i see the kits on ebay, just wondering if anyone has done it with success....

501 - 520 of 658 Posts