Diesel Place banner

421 - 440 of 658 Posts

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,736 Posts
What do you guys use to clean up the frame and axles for paint? Wire wheel ?

Also what is that filter by the master cylinder for?

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
What do you guys use to clean up the frame and axles for paint? Wire wheel ?

Also what is that filter by the master cylinder for?
on axles, we start by scraping all the big crud with screw drivers and picks for the crannies, then use a welding brush for a bit, and finish with a 4" grinder brush with heavy wires... for frames it depends what the condition of it is, if its 3/4 rotted, we just go with flat screw drivers and welding brushes, better frames we use the grinder wire wheel... this frame we did it alot just by hand, with scrapers, flat screw drivers, picks and just rubbing it with a welding glove cleaned it up nice, as it was amazingly clean for a 1987... it came up here from Massachusetts..... only bad spot was the very ends of the frame in the back, needed to cap the frame top and bottom, but the spring perches were real nice... the filter is the final fuel filter before the injection pump, i like putting them there, very out of the way, and we always bring our fuel lines up the driverside... the filter on it is our last one from the rattlepuss, after its purification by fire to aid in shop heating...:HiHi:

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
bit of an update, finally got back to working on this some, turns out the 205 is truly finished, pulled it the rest of the way apart and it needs many bearings, seperated the front discs from the hubs, and it turns out that its 2 different hubs, and the outers on the front axle shafts are different also...LOL... got a price quote for the kit to rebuild the 205 from SKF through our machine shop, its $530.00 before tax and a 3-4 week waiting period, double the price of rock auto which was $250.00CDN shipped to the door... dont suppose anyone has a used 32 spline input shaft for the original NP208 that was in the blazer......LOL...., last night was our coldest night yet this year at -38F, so not alot going on here...LOL.... got some carnage pics from the 205 tear down to post later...

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
got a price quote for the kit to rebuild the 205 from SKF through our machine shop, its $530.00 before tax and a 3-4 week waiting period, double the price of rock auto which was $250.00CDN shipped to the door... dont suppose anyone has a used 32 spline input shaft for the original NP208 that was in the blazer...
Wow. $530, that's nuts. I remember looking around for mine and it wasn't too bad. But they are working through middlemen and then they mark it up again.
32 spline was TH400/standard, correct? Used to have one, they shouldn't be too hard to find.
Most people are happier running a 208 over a 205 anyway, better gearing, better shifting and lighter.

-38, suckers. :hehe: its like spring here.

on axles, we start by scraping all the big crud with screw drivers and picks for the crannies, then use a welding brush for a bit, and finish with a 4" grinder brush with heavy wires... for frames it depends what the condition of it is, if its 3/4 rotted, we just go with flat screw drivers and welding brushes, better frames we use the grinder wire wheel... this frame we did it alot just by hand, with scrapers, flat screw drivers, picks and just rubbing it with a welding glove cleaned it up nice, as it was amazingly clean for a 1987... it came up here from Massachusetts..... only bad spot was the very ends of the frame in the back, needed to cap the frame top and bottom, but the spring perches were real nice...
needle scaler, flapper discs. never had much luck with wire wheels, just polishes the rust.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
32 Spline would be TH400/Manual on an 85 or 86 and up truck. Before that was 10 spline I believe.

Not looking forward to rebuilding either one of my 205's for this reason, lots of money....

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
32 Spline would be TH400/Manual on an 85 or 86 and up truck. Before that was 10 spline I believe.

Not looking forward to rebuilding either one of my 205's for this reason, lots of money....
Think your getting years mixed up here Nate. IIRC, the 10 spline was way earlier, and a 205 issue.
The info I have, and my memory says 208's were 27 or 32, unless you go with a different manufacturer, so that's, 81 on.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
bit of an update, finally got back to working on this some, turns out the 205 is truly finished, pulled it the rest of the way apart and it needs many bearings, seperated the front discs from the hubs, and it turns out that its 2 different hubs, and the outers on the front axle shafts are different also...LOL... got a price quote for the kit to rebuild the 205 from SKF through our machine shop, its $530.00 before tax and a 3-4 week waiting period, double the price of rock auto which was $250.00CDN shipped to the door... dont suppose anyone has a used 32 spline input shaft for the original NP208 that was in the blazer......LOL...., last night was our coldest night yet this year at -38F, so not alot going on here...LOL.... got some carnage pics from the 205 tear down to post later...
skf i can see being a few bux...not 500

parts store grade replacement bearing rebuild kits start at less then a 100 bux, but there are real good deals on the web/bay typeplaces for good content kits sub 170 bux

GMC Chevy Truck NP205 205 Transfer Case Rebuild Kit | eBay

i am sure you looked at that kit, and i have to assume you did not consider it due to quality?

the Nachi and Koyo bearing kits like advanced adapters sells and you can get sub 130 bux on amazon i have had zero issues with. i would have to say i have installed 20 plus of those the last few years..they are decent japanese, as good as i will ever need bearing from what i have seen...way better then the china stuff i have sent back anyway.

just make sure you get the kit for the 32 spline application if that is what you have, and measure the thing as well.

you can get fresh 32 spline np 208 input shafts for 60-90 bux as well if you shop around. that was my backup as i was just looking for my spare one a few days back out in the garage so i could prep one of the spare cases to swap right in to make it a 1-2 hr deal...and assume it is in my building up north...at least i hope it is so i dont have to buy another one:Insane:

i had to tear my 208 apart because i mangled the drive hub again on the sync style i swapped in some time back...i converted it over to full slide over because thats all i could piece together of the cases i had laying around.

i figured by now i would have had my 241/205 doubler in there...

oddly enough i would send you the spare if i find it for free...but cringe at having to buy one because i cant remember where i put it:hehe:

i wonder about myself sometimes...:shake:

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,736 Posts
sm465's after 1979 were 32 spline...
I have the trans but the transfer case is long gone.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
If the gears are in good shape don't scrap it and rebearing it.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Think your getting years mixed up here Nate. IIRC, the 10 spline was way earlier, and a 205 issue.
The info I have, and my memory says 208's were 27 or 32, unless you go with a different manufacturer, so that's, 81 on.
Im thinking 205's. They were late to the party for the round bolt flange change and had some 10 spline units on 85 and down SM465 equipped trucks. You're right, 208's were 27/32 spline and round bolt flange depending on transmission it was behind.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
skf i can see being a few bux...not 500

parts store grade replacement bearing rebuild kits start at less then a 100 bux, but there are real good deals on the web/bay typeplaces for good content kits sub 170 bux

GMC Chevy Truck NP205 205 Transfer Case Rebuild Kit | eBay

i am sure you looked at that kit, and i have to assume you did not consider it due to quality?

the Nachi and Koyo bearing kits like advanced adapters sells and you can get sub 130 bux on amazon i have had zero issues with. i would have to say i have installed 20 plus of those the last few years..they are decent japanese, as good as i will ever need bearing from what i have seen...way better then the china stuff i have sent back anyway.

just make sure you get the kit for the 32 spline application if that is what you have, and measure the thing as well.

you can get fresh 32 spline np 208 input shafts for 60-90 bux as well if you shop around. that was my backup as i was just looking for my spare one a few days back out in the garage so i could prep one of the spare cases to swap right in to make it a 1-2 hr deal...and assume it is in my building up north...at least i hope it is so i dont have to buy another one:Insane:

i had to tear my 208 apart because i mangled the drive hub again on the sync style i swapped in some time back...i converted it over to full slide over because thats all i could piece together of the cases i had laying around.

i figured by now i would have had my 241/205 doubler in there...

oddly enough i would send you the spare if i find it for free...but cringe at having to buy one because i cant remember where i put it:hehe:

i wonder about myself sometimes...:shake:
yeah, it is a dumb quebec-over-pricing thing, and the wait time is because SKF needs to put the kit together, looked at the kit you linked, and have our eyes on one at rock auto, which is probably the one we will take, but need to scrape cash together, got a hyundai here with a scrapped engine that the owner was supposed to come last friday and pay the labour on, and give the cash to buy another engine...:rolleyes::popcorn:... still waiting....:nope:

from what i found they were indeed 27 or 32, but 27 behind 700R4, which is why i mentioned swapping inputs...
Im thinking 205's. They were late to the party for the round bolt flange change and had some 10 spline units on 85 and down SM465 equipped trucks. You're right, 208's were 27/32 spline and round bolt flange depending on transmission it was behind.
yup, 27 spline due to 700R4...

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #432 (Edited)
If the gears are in good shape don't scrap it and rebearing it.
yeah, the gears and everything else is cherry, already got it tore completely down, washed out, and all the case and covers repainted, and waiting on some cash, and space...... doing a run of grocery buggies right now, and have the shop turned into an assembly line for this, got 20 to do, @ $80.00 each....work, work, work.....:hehe:

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
need to figure out how to load pics again, our updated windows 10pro does not seem to have a picture program, at least i have not found it yet....LOL

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
FWIW, I use Google Picasa. Works pretty good for me, stores a lot of photos.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
FWIW, I use Google Picasa. Works pretty good for me, stores a lot of photos.
Just a note, google picasa is being discontinued, in a month or so. So I would look for some other app, as there won't be any updates/bug fixes for it.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,736 Posts
Just a note, google picasa is being discontinued, in a month or so. So I would look for some other app, as there won't be any updates/bug fixes for it.

Ditto, Google is moving to another program.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,736 Posts
need to figure out how to load pics again, our updated windows 10pro does not seem to have a picture program, at least i have not found it yet....LOL
What did you use before ?

·
Mad (Sean) Max
9,602 Posts
I use photobucket. seems ok for what i do. only thing i dont like is that viewers can flup through the whole album and not just see the picture posted

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,736 Posts
I use photobucket. seems ok for what i do. only thing i dont like is that viewers can flup through the whole album and not just see the picture posted
You can set your albums to private and the only time anyone would see the pics is when you link to them.
You'd be surprised what people put in in their public photobucket accounts :eek:

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts

I did use them, the place has gone to crap now. Its full of spam crap and takes forever to load.

The best thing is to upload pics here. If the host changes their address system, old links die. That's why a lot of old PB and FaceBook links here are dead.

I believe the Turbo boys are just looking for a program to manage and view their pics on the computer as they were good at uploading them to the site.

J&J, Windows 10 doesn't have the photo viewer like 7 did?

421 - 440 of 658 Posts