Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the size of a GM8 turbo? I get asked this and I got no idea how to answer it so I just be a smartass and say this big ahah. Thanks

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
What exactly are you talking about by size?

The turbine inlet is a T3 flange...

Compressor inlet is about 3" outlet is 2.5"...

I could go on and on...

Wheel sizes? Housing sizes?

In general, it's a medium frame turbocharger. If that's what you're askin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was watching "pass time" on speed channel and they had 'turbo edition' and they were all asking the size of the turbos in MM. Thats what I ment

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
I was watching "pass time" on speed channel and they had 'turbo edition' and they were all asking the size of the turbos in MM. Thats what I ment
Then they are more then likely talking about the sizing of the turbine housing.

The size of the turbine housing effects spool up in the lower rpms, and flow in the higher rpms.

It's a 0.70 A/R housing, in MM if I remember correctly, it's 12mm squared

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, So I have a 12 millimeter turbo? They were all saying that they had like 80-90 millimeter turbos.

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,690 Posts
Ok, So I have a 12 millimeter turbo? They were all saying that they had like 80-90 millimeter turbos.
Thats why I'm saying compressor wheel size... I'm not sure what size our compressor wheels are.

*edit*
I found two numbers when i researched...

GM8 measures 2.756" major diameter and 1.968" minor diameter on the compressor wheel.

That is 70mm and 50mm.

I'm not sure which number would be the one you would use to "describe" the turbo though.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Thats why I'm saying compressor wheel size... I'm not sure what size our compressor wheels are.

*edit*
I found two numbers when i researched...

GM8 measures 2.756" major diameter and 1.968" minor diameter on the compressor wheel.

That is 70mm and 50mm.

I'm not sure which number would be the one you would use to "describe" the turbo though.
There is part of the answer. Our turbos are 2.0"/50mm on the compressor. The minor (inducer) on the compressor is how we normally refer to our charger sizes, espcially in the pulling world and using one number. If a class is 2.6", they will use a slug slightly larger than 2.6" in diameter, and if it fits, it's DQ'd. Overall size is referred to as compressor inducer/turbine exducer/turbine A/R. For example, a 64/71/14 (common aftermarkt Cummins charger) is 64mm on the inducer, 71mm on the exhaust, and 14mm^2 on A/R. Our overall size would be 50/52/12 or 1.97/2.03/.70 for GM-4+ and 50/55/12 or 2.00/2.15/0.70 for the GM-3.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts