Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one tell me what I need to do to put a 6.5 turbo or an aftermarket turbo on my 83 6.2 K10. What components, lines, etc. will I need.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Are you sure you want a turbo? I don't know if the 6.2 will stand up to one.
My dad had one a few years back with a banks setup.......tore the bottom end up. Seems it couldn't handle the extra power?
Some other members probably will have better results to post for you though.
This was just my dads ordeal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
manifold(s), injectors, modify/remove/replace AC box if so equipped, turn up the IP or get one from a donor 6.5.

Someone else will chime in with specifics, but that's a start, anyways.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thats pretty much it. Find a truck at a junkyard or something with the 6.5L TD and grab the manifolds, crossover pipe, turbo and any oil lines that you might need. Banks makes a kit that I have heard good things about, I plan to get one this summer. The 6.2L will hold up to about 10psi of boost anything more and you need to upgrade the bottom end and stuff. The thing about the banks kit is that it comes with everything you need to install it and guages and stuff. Just taking the manifolds and stuff from a 6.5L TD means you need to know a bit more about all the different stuff which I dont so Im playing it safe and getting the Banks kit.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
You can upgrade the lower end to hold a little more than 10 psi pretty easily with a stud girdle which you can buy from and aftermarket supplier. To run a whole lot more boost you need to install lower compression pistons.

I would add more parts to the list, but it's pretty much already covered...

·
Registered
454 Posts
the bottom end will hold 10 psi no problem. the pistons on the other hand, will melt after awhile of boostin it more. the turbo pistons have a special coating on them to help disperse the heat.
s10 ac box from 83 body all the way up until the changed the bodystyle are the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts