Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are enjoying or 04 2500 HD D/A LLY. My wife has noticed that there is a whistle between 20 and 30 MPH. It started out as a small whistle but it seems to be getting louder as time has gone one. We asked the dealer about it earlier and they said it was normal, but it has gotten louder since then. She says that she is competing with the "Big Rigs" for whining at this speed.

Is there any reason for concern? Or should we just enjoy the fact we have a "tough" sounding truck.

Thanks for the help.

Still loven the truck, had it 3 weeks now, 1600 miles and going strong. Got stucj=k in a sm=now bank with about 1000 miles on it

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Sounds like you are just hearing the turbo whistle. As it loosens up and gets broke in, it's probably going to get a little louder. The LLY's have more turbo whistle than the LB7 engines since it's a different turbo with no wastegate and you should just enjoy the "Big Rig" sound....

That speed is about where everything kicks in power wise, so it's probably just waiting for you to punch it....

Mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
That's one of the "extra" benefits of an LLY motor.

Ain't life grand with a Dmax?!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Barkeep,

Welcome to the site. Mine has done it since day one. Drive it and enjoy it. I wish mine was a little louder.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Voodoo- 4 or 5" exhaust will get her screamin. Still waiting on AFE to finsh their LLY setup, then the big rigs will sound quiet!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok I have a few questions,

I'm new to the diesel trucks. I'm 19 and I have had my truck since X-max. I have a pewter 2003 Chevy 2500HD LT Dmax/allison , CC, SB 4x4. Since I bought the truck I have put on an Edge juice programer with the in-cab controller. A 4" SS Magnaflow exhaust, and an AFE stage 2 intake. I also have a bed cover and stainless steel nerf bars. I have a billet grill and bowtie, and I painted the chrome part of the grill shell to match the truck. I have plans on doing a SS front bumper cover, and different hood. I am in the process of ordering a 6" lift but don't know which lift I should go with. I'm gonna to put on a set of 20" wheels and nitto's new 325/60/r20 terra grappler. I was wondering what my next step would be to up the power. should I do propane. I plan on doing the ats transmission upgrade this summer before I do anything else performance wise.

My next question is what do you mean when you say a LLY motor is the engine code for duramax.

Next I would like to say how awesome this truck is. There not a single person where I live that doesn't respect my truck. I work hard for it.

The power and acceleration this truck has is amazing. I raced 02 ford lightning about a weekago and pulled a whole truck length on him and he didn't catch me till 80mph when I let off, and I don't have any problems out runing mild 5.0 stangs Z28s. the fit and finish of the truck is great. I did all upgrades my self and have recently done a turbo back exhaust and edge computer on a f250 and I have to say that I'm so glad I bought a chevy. Ford trucks are not though out very well.

Well, I would like to say good luck to all the Dmax owner and please take care of these awesome trucks.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
allstok03Dmax

Glad to hear your enjoying the truck as the majority here .... Seems you have a pretty good handle on moding your Duramax ....

The LLY is the next generation of the Duramax replacing the LB7.... They have increased the power and made changes for servicability and emissions .... Look thru the pages on this site and you will find detailed info on power ratings and internal external changes ...

Mac

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. We will just enjoy the sound and watch the heads turn as we drive by. This is our first diesel and it is a lot doifferent then the gassers. My wife just got done saying that she will be hard pressed to ever get another gasser again. She is loving drive that truck.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I guess I'll have to learn to live with my LB7...sure wish it would whistle like the big rigs do!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts